About a year ago or so, I was casually perusing Pinterest with my morning coffee (as one does) and I scrolled upon a pair of sneakers. Now, these were not just any pair of sneakers. They were beyond – refined, yet modern…all with a vintage style. I found myself thinking, could these be cooler than my Converse? Could they really??
I immediately clicked the link to purchase these fantastical shoes and…oh. Little did I know that they were a luxury lace-up brand and yep, luxury usually comes with a big, fat price tag. Well, that infatuation came to an abrupt end…
…sort of. Of course, I then started to see them pop up EVERYWHERE – in every instagram share and outfit post from my favorite fashion-y people…and as much as I tried to bury my feelings and excitement over these sneakers, deep down in the depths of my fashion blogger soul…it was hard. I began stalking them – fantasizing about what I would wear them with, to what I’d wear them, blah blah. I wanted them. I wanted them in a bad way.
I just couldn’t get past the price. $200? Maybe. I could fathom spending that much on a pair of shoes that are to die for, especially if I can see myself wearing them for years to come. $300 +? hmm. That’s a lot. I didn’t quite get why so many people were willing to shell out the big bucks for them.
So. S, being well aware of our mutual obsession over these shoes, finally decided — it was time to test them out. One of us HAD TO. It just made sense, considering how popular they are and that we are a style blog. Being the self-sacrificing, generous person that I am, I agreed to take on the task. The GGs were ordered, shipped and delivered to my casa…and I may have squealed a little when opening up the box.
It was now official. The Mom Edit was in possession of THE “IT” SHOE. It was time to give these babies a real try and possibly give them the TME stamp of approval (…or at least a nod).
FYI: the Julian backpack I am carrying is part of Prime Day Deals right now on Amazon – try Prime and get it for an additional 30% off at checkout!
So. I’ve been wearing these puppies for the past couple of months now and I can say, without question, that this is a really. cool. shoe. They’ve beat out my Converse, for the time being, anyways…and now, I have to say, I get why they’ve become so popular. They are just…really cool.
In order to really lay it all out there for ya, though, I put together a Golden Goose Sneaker pros and cons list…all are my own observations and honest thoughts on them.
- the designers (Francesca Rinaldo and Alessandro Gallo) are from Italy, so. Yeh. Legit footwear.
- raised heel bed, which makes the shoe appear to be a bit smaller than it actually is. *this is just an observation, not 100% fact. I am 99% sure that that is how they engineered the shoe, though. I could feel it and even see it.
- the over-all style is just the epitome of everything a street style sneaker should be — sporty (but chic), with understated details – in the star and its placement, unique colors of the soles, laces & of course, a proper amount of scuffing.
- comfortable – the foot bed is slightly cushioned & the laces can be worn a more loose to make it a more roomy fit
- all-leather – never a bad thing. They smell good and I know that they will last.
- They’re $300+.
- I’ve noticed that they feel a bit stiff (in the sides and soles, specifically). I have been wearing them for a coupe of months now, though, and they are getting to the point where they feel like they’re getting to that perfectly worn in place…and I think that they’ll just get better with time.
- I find that they fit a bit smaller…and I even ordered a size 41/10 (and I am usually a 9.5). It’s not a huge problem, but it’s something to be aware of. It may be the particular style that I have, but I thought it was definitely info. worth passing on to you.
Hey. I made a video, too! I can’t help myself.
Our Favorite Golden Goose Sneakers
So here’s my vigorous nod to Golden Goose Sneakers. Ya done good. Now, if you would just possibly consider doing a more affordable line…maybe at Target? Many of us would be really appreciative, thanks. 😉
Are there any other specific items or brands that you’ve been dying to try out, but just can’t…because $ or can’t be bothered? LET US KNOW. We want to really test things out -see them in person, wear them in our every day and share our honest thoughts with you.
Find me over on Instagram (@camilledipaola) for random IG stories, outfits & mas.
Photos by Christina Hussey Photography.