The highly anticipated raincoat round-up is here! I think I could put together 5 posts about rain gear (boots up next time!), but no one outside the PNW wants to go into that detail, so here are my top favorites. I polled some fellow Northwesterners for their favorite durable rain jackets, too. Some styles are definitely not raincoats, but they will offer a little protection from the water while mixing-it-up a bit style-wise. Most of these are styles I actually wear on a regular basis, too, so they are at least Portland-tested! So, without further ado…
This collection includes options for the raincoat you wear in the rainiest weather…the most durable, functional choice for keeping you from getting soggy. The top choice of people around these parts was the Marmot PreCip jacket, but I found a few other options for you at different price points, too.
1.‘Tomales Bay’ Waterproof Hooded Jacket – This is very similar to Shana’s favorite raincoat. The one I have (very similar) is close to this, too. I love having a longer coat like this for playing (sitting on wet benches) at the park. These look best fitted, in my opinion, so I have a different coat for wintertime to wear with bulky sweaters.
2. Erie Waxed Cotton – I am dying for this raincoat. I mean. Perfection. I really want a waxed cotton jacket, just for a different look to nylon. It’s cool and different, but still so durable. It also comes in black with that lovely red polka dot lining. I may just move into Bridge and Burn when I finally make it to their brick and mortar shop here.
3. Athleta Outbound Jacket – This jacket is also in a waxed fabric. I was really impressed with Athleta’s jackets when I went in the other day. This one also comes in a bright mustard yellow.
4. Diamond Candy Hooded Softshell Waterproof Jacket – This gets many great reviews and is a very reasonable price. It comes in 4 bright colors and looks great from the photo. I’m not familiar with this brand, but I really wanted to include it due to reviews.
5. Marmot PreCip – This is the favorite of many of my friends here. They have all tried a variety of brands and they swear by Marmot. I have yet to try it on, but it comes in a ton of colors and is just a quality go-to raincoat.
6. Barbour Shore Hooded Waxed Cotton Marine Jacket – Guess I’m on a roll with the waxed cotton jackets. If you can swing this one, I will totally have raincoat envy. Gorgeous. The style of this is close to the old Gap lined raincoat I wear everyday in the winter. This would be a fab upgrade.
Next up? The stylish trench raincoat….