Let’s face it ladies, the world of fashion is changing. And let me tell you, it is finally changing for the better! More than ever brands are developing clothing lines for women who are larger than a size 14. It is so incredible to see such an array of options that are popping up all across MAJOR brands.
I’ve always been fascinated by fashion week, and this year theCURVYcon stole the show for me. theCURVYcon is an incredible body positivity celebration that runs parallel to New York Fashion Week, and let me tell you the women in attendance were coming in hot this year! Even though I wasn’t able to be in NYC during one of the biggest fashion moments of the season, I definitely had my fair share of runway show and fashion-stalking on social media.
theCURVYcon lasts for three days and features guest speakers (Lizzo has spoken in the past), body positive workouts, and tons and tons of inclusive brands repping their fall collections here. theCURVYCon’s mission is the following: “theCURVYcon is a diverse international community of plus size and body positive content creators, celebrities, fans, and brands. Our mission is to create in-person and online spaces for plus size women, using fashion as a tool for community, expression, and inclusivity. theCURVYcon at NY Fashion Week is a three-day convention for body positive and plus size influencers, celebrities, tastemakers and their fans.”
My Thoughts On theCURVYcon 2019
5 Takeaways From theCURVYCon 2019
- You can be 100% whoever you want to be. theCURVYcon brought it with all the Lizzo vibes this year, and they worked hard to instill a sense of community and girl power within their event. Whether big, small or tall, we all get to decide who we want to be. We have the right to choose how we want to live our lives, what kind of food we want to eat and how we want to dress.
- Everyone deserves to feel fabulous in a killer outfit. For so long many women beyond a size 14 have had to get creative with self-curating and designing their own outfits. This years’ theCURVYcon had some of that same flare of creativity and inspiration from plus size and curvy fashion influencers and attendees.
- Big girls like to exercise too! So many people assume that women who are bigger don’t like to exercise and that’s simply untrue. Personally, I LOVE to dance, and go to as many hip hop and Zumba classes as I can each week. Exercise is a celebration of your body and all the amazing things it can do, and your size doesn’t dictate whether you love yoga, enjoy hiking, or dare I say it…RUNNING. theCURVYcon kicked off it’s three-day series with a welcome workout party that was powered by Nike. Also — shoutout to Nike for bringing their A-Game when they launched their new line of activewear for all!
- Being a Boss Babe doesn’t mean you have to be perfect or know all the answers. So many successful women often feel like they aren’t doing enough, and some of their speakers touched on this very tough topic — feeling like you need to do it all — and sometimes that simply isn’t possible.
- Learning to love yourself as you are is one of the most freeing journeys you can choose to take. Jes Baker, Body Posi Panda, Simone Mariposa, Mickey Boardman and Shahd Khidir all touched on this during their panel that was powered by Dia&Co. They said, “The journey to self love can be both beautiful and challenging — it can also be more complicated than just loving our bodies, especially in a world that has repeatedly told us that loving yourself is wrong.”
Tons of brands sponsored the event including: Dia&Co, Anthropologie, JCPenney, Macy’s, Target, The Knot, Kleinfeld, Alvanon, Boom Bras, Nike, Eloquii, Eby, Good American, Loft, Torrid, Walmart, and ThirdLove.
Shop Favorites Inspired By theCURVYcon 2019
There were so many incredible outfits. Some of the trends I spotted from the event were animal prints, statement jumpsuits, patterned dresses, polka dots, and monochromatic ensembles paired with statement accessories. Below are some of my favorite finds and inspiration from the event.