They say you should pack your hospital bag about one month before your due date. I wish I had it all together to pull that off, but at the time of writing this, I’m one week out (yay!) and feeling pretty proud to be all packed up and waiting for my little one’s arrival. Let’s just say…TGFA (Thank god for Amazon).
Hospital Bag Checklist: For Mom & Baby
However and whenever you prepare it, the hospital bag is one of those big things you anticipate all throughout your pregnancy (or at least I did!). It’s a fun — and slightly nerve-wracking — last step before baby and personally, I loved doing a little shopping in preparation for the big day.
Aside from the big things like your insurance card and ID, a properly installed car seat, and a going home outfit for the baby, let’s talk about what else made it into my hospital bag that I feel will make me (and baby!) a bit more comfortable during our hospital stay.
Clothes & Comforts for Mom:
- Pajamas with easy access for nursing / skin-to-skin – Nordstrom moonlight pjs are my all-time favorite, I’ve been wearing one size up all throughout my pregnancy.
- Going home outfit – I opted for a matching set and comfortable leggings, one size up
- Uggs/easy shoes to slip on for going home – Simple black Uggs are my go-to for colder months.
- Nursing bras – I’ve already started wearing these. Nothing glamorous, but they seem to do the trick until I get the hang of things.
- Maternity/postpartum underwear – I’ve tried all. the. underwear. These seem to be the most comfortable, so far.
- Cozy socks
- Slippers – I’m leaving my nicer Uggs at home, and got these instead.
- Shower shoes
- Dark towel for after your shower
- Pillow + colored pillowcase – I prefer this in case hospital linens are white, or something gets on the pillow during your stay
- Portable charger or extra long phone charger
- Toiletry bag – I filled with good hair ties, toothbrush, toothpaste, makeup remover, cotton pads, cleanser, moisturizer, mini shampoo/conditioner, mini dry shampoo, soap, aquaphor, light makeup
- Kindle – I love my Kindle for some downtime, but it also helps me fall back to sleep if I have any time to rest
Clothes & Comforts for Baby:
- One or two outfits – I have and love this little set by Bonsie baby for skin-to-skin. I’d also pack baby socks if your outfits don’t cover their feet.
- Going home outfit – I won’t know the gender until birth, so these simple footies (in white, pink or blue) with a matching beanie by Kissy Kissy are great.
- Pacifiers + pacifier holder
- Baby blanket
Optional Things to Pack Based on Your Hospital (but may be nice to have):
- Upside-down peri bottle – Your hospital should provide you with everything you need postpartum, but apparently, this upside down peri bottle has it allll over the old-school hospital version.
- Postpartum disposable underwear
- Pads – I’m trying these by Frida Mom
- Nursing cream/balm – I’ve heard good things about the Earth Mama brand
- Water bottle – If your emotional support Stanley is calling your name, I say bring it.
Everything I Packed In My Hospital Bag As A New Mom
Shop My Hospital Bag Essentials For Mom & Baby
And that’s it! If you too are preparing for a new baby, enjoy it! I’m wishing you all the best and hoping this hospital bag checklist was a helpful one.