I love love when local mamas doing rad things to help the community reach out through social media and that’s exactly how I initially met Maria Burglund, founder of the lovely organization In Kind Boxes. Not only is her presence on her Instagram account a bright spot when I’m scrolling but you can sense her kind nature and energy for what she does immediately.
What is an In Kind Box? It’s an amazing collection of quality products for mama and baby to use in those early months and days, but the best part, for each box purchased on their site, they donate a box to a mama in need. They’ve helped over 2300 families in the US already!
A Life & Style Interview With Maria Berglund of In Kind Boxes
If you have an upcoming baby shower an In Kind Box makes the perfect gift while giving back at the same time. Win, win! That’s an example of their Fall 2023 gift box above. You can also purchase their adorable black + white swaddle blankets separately.
I’ve been a fan of Maria’s from the moment we connected and have been sharing her posts on Instagram regularly. We finally got to meet in-person last summer when she asked me to be a part of a fashion show + fundraising event with Portland-area Mapel Boutique. The whole event was a blast and an honor to be a part of.
Maria Berglund On Postpartum Planning & Her Foundation In Kind Boxes
1. DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN ONE SENTENCE.
A person who finds joy in the little things, and loves helping others.
2. TOP THREE BEAUTY PRODUCTS or PAIRS OF SHOES. GO…
- Clinique Moisture Surge Sheer Hydrator with SPF 28
- Tarte SeaGlowtion Skin Perfector
- Orange Cream Lip Balm by Mad Sass Soap Co. (local PDX small business!)
3. WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START IN KIND BOXES?
Being Canadian and after having 2 of my 3 kids in the US, I realized the lack of support you receive here after giving birth. That’s not right to me, so I came up with a way to help — providing gift boxes filled with natural and organic essentials for both newborns in need and their mamas/birthing parents. I believe that everyone deserves quality postpartum care. The United States is suffering from a maternal health crisis, which unfortunately has only gotten worse since I started In Kind Boxes in 2019.
4. WHAT’S THE MOST FUN PART ABOUT YOUR JOB?
Helping others, and reminding moms and birthing parents that they’re not alone.
5. If you could give only one piece of advice to a timid, new mom, what would it be?
Be kind to yourself. You’re doing the best you can, and that is enough.
6. 3 favorite organizational tricks or tips?
1) Utilize notes and reminders on your phone.
These are invaluable to me as a mom of 3- I use them daily.
2) Plan for the 4th trimester. When we’re pregnant, especially the first time, we forget to plan for much after birth besides getting things ready for the baby. You need care and support too.
Postpartum planning is often overlooked by us, and our healthcare providers. Part of my work is reminding people that moms and birthing parents deserve to thrive after birth too. With a postpartum plan in place, you’re more likely to get the support you need. In my opinion it’s equally if not more important than a birth plan. I have a postpartum planning tool that I’m happy to share with you. Just DM me on Instagram and I’ll send it to you 🙂
3) Vacuum seal your kids clothes as they grow out of them, and store them in bins with ages/sizes labeled on the front. This was so helpful as my younger kids came along, I could pull out the bins and see what we had, and where we needed to fill in gaps.
7. HOW DO YOU STAY ANCHORED TO YOUR PURPOSE?
My purpose is the foundation for why I do anything with In Kind. It’s why I’m able to show up the way I do on social media. I am an introverted person, and being the face of In Kind was not a thought that crossed my mind when I started this. The idea of being on camera used to completely terrify me, but I know that when I do it, it makes a difference for In Kind and the number of families we can help. Any time I’m afraid of doing something, I come back to my purpose and it gives me the encouragement I need to move forward.
Thank you so much, Maria, for reaching out and for all that you do with your organization, your social media and in the local community here. So glad to call you a friend! Don’t forget to add In Kind Boxes to your go-to baby shower gifts!
Laura & Maria