I’ve been looking for cropped jackets for years, YEARS, and the options were always pretty limited. However, perusing the web recently, I found not one, not two, not three but many cropped jackets available.
That’s not a surprise, though, if you followed NYFW earlier this year. Streets and runways were full of cropped jackets. They’re set to be one of the biggest trends this year.
My petite self is over the moon because cropped jackets are very petite-friendly. However, if you’re taller or have a long torso, don’t fret; the benefits of cropped jackets go beyond one body type.
How To Find The Best Cropped Jacket: Sizing Tips + 5 Cute Styles
With the new-ish surge of baggier pants — barrel, wide-leg, boyfriend, etc. — one of the best ways to balance the slouchiness in the bottom is with a snug or cropped top to show off the waist for balance. Plus, cropped jackets look amazing over maxi dresses or with high-waisted skirts.
Cropped Jacket Length Guidelines
- Cropped jackets (or tops) come in different lengths. Some are more cropped than others, and that’s perfect if you’re petite or want a super-cropped look, while others are slightly cropped, perfect for tall beauties or just a little shorter length.
- Petite beauties (especially 5’1″ or anyone with a short torso): Some cropped jackets will hit between your waist and hips, and that’s OK, but if you want the cropped look (at your waist), go for the shortest ones you can find. When shopping online, I always check the model’s height and see where the jacket hits her body. I know it will be perfect for me if it’s above her waist. Likewise, if it’s below her waist, I know it will be more of a regular length on me. I’ll size down in this case, especially if the jacket looks oversized/boxy; more times than not, that does the trick.
- Tall beauties: Same as petites, check the sizing info to see the model’s height and predict how long the jacket will be for you. In the case of a too-cropped jacket, try sizing up.
5 Styles of Cropped Jackets To Freshen Up Your Wardrobe
Without further ado, I’ll show you all the stunning cropped jackets I found. We can choose from cropped blazers and trench, tweed, leather and denim jackets. Many of these will work for both the office and weekends.
1. Cropped Moto Jackets For A Badass Look
I’ve owned an AllSaints cropped moto jacket for two years, and the difference it makes is amazing. While regular-length moto jackets will always be a staple, the cropped length makes them fresh and updated for the newer bottom styles.
Shop Cropped Moto jackets
2. Cropped Blazers For Work & Play
A pretty cropped blazer is office-appropriate depending on the specific style and fabric, but they’re also perfect for dressing up casual outfits. I love those super-cropped blazers that work as tops over a bralette for a sexy date-night look, but if you prefer more coverage, try a bodysuit under it.
Shop Cropped Blazers
3. Cropped Utility & Denim Jackets For A Casual-Chic Look
Give your denim jacket a refresh with a cropped silhouette.
These are ideal for spring and summer. Cropped jackets in lightweight fabric will look amazing with your spring dresses, trousers and jeans. Then, when it’s too hot to wear outside, keep them on hand for those freezing indoor situations.
Shop Cropped Utility & Denim Jackets
4. Cropped Trench Jackets For A Timeless Style
A cropped trench jacket is universally chic and oh-so versatile. This is the category where I found more investment pieces, which makes sense since trench styles are timeless, so you get all the cost-per-wear.
Shop Cropped Trench Jackets
5. Cropped Lady Jackets For A Touch Of Femininity
I love the femininity of the lady-jacket style. Aside from this great basic by Quince, I love that a lot of jackets in this style come without a collar, allowing you to play with blouses with interesting details, like this pink-on-pink lady jacket by J.Crew.
Shop Cropped Lady Jackets
Which style is your favorite? Now, I’ll take some time to choose my next jacket because, as you probably noticed, I only have leather ones.
Do you want to discover your best colors from the comfort of your home, know what makes you glow the most, and fine-tune your style? I’ll be opening spots in the upcoming weeks. Be the first to know here. You can also join me on IG (@julietatorresd) for casual-chic outfits. I’d love to see you there.