I’ll admit it: I’ve fully embraced the allure of sweat sets lately. Being a work-from-home mom for almost a decade has me living in comfy clothes more than ever. Yet, there’s more to me than just the snug comfort of home attire. Have you checked out my recent travel outfits post? Also, there’s something about embracing the seasonal change.
As the cold weather sets in and I find myself spending more time at home, I crave cozy, comfortable yet effortlessly stylish outfits. Despite mixing and matching my existing pieces, I still felt the need for a cute matching sweat set – something cozy, easy-going, and elevated. Amidst my quest for the perfect match, two sets stood out: one from Sweaty Betty and the other from SPANX.
The 2 Matching Sweat Sets I’m Entirely In Love With (& Why)
This was initially a which-do-I-keep post, but then I was like, “No: I love both”. Why? They meet different purposes. But first, let me explain what I was looking for…
My Matching Sweat Set Set Requirements
My issue with sweatsuits is usually the inseam of the pants. As a petite, that’s big for me since sweatpants are not usually easily hackable like jeans are. I need a shorter inseam or a shrinkable material. If you’re not petite, do not worry cause the sets I tried on have different lengths available. So you’re good!
Aside from the inclusive inseam, these were other requirements:
- More chic than athletic
- Drapey fabric
- Flattering on the bum
- Petite options
- An interesting detail to make it stand out
- Cropped sweatshirt
Here are the two different matching sweat sets that met all my requirements…and why I’m keeping both.
Sweaty Betty Matching Sweat Set: Best To Stay Warm & Chic
Damn, this luxe fleece is a dream. I love fleece, but it sometimes feels more casual than luxe. However, SB nailed it. The pants sold out quickly at Nordstrom, so I had to order straight from the Sweaty Betty site (on sale) and had no issues.
- Style: The under-sleeve details, thumbholes, ribbed waist, and the side panel in the pants give this set a unique look, and help you look chic and put-together while wearing sweats.
- Fabric: It’s a very light, soft fleecy fabric using recycled cotton.
- Fit — Sweatpants: Available in two inseams, 30″ and 32″. I went for the 30,” and while a little long for my 5’1″ body, I use a wedge insert in my sneakers, so the pants don’t touch the ground too much.
- Fit — Sweatshirt: It’s a cropped length which I love. If you’re taller and don’t like a too-cropped length, consider sizing up for extra length. You can wear a tank under if you don’t want to show skin when you lift your arms. Try this one for a longer length.
SPANX Sweatsuit: Best To Stay Cool + Minimal
If the Sweaty Betty set was light and comfy, this one is even lighter. Light like air…they claim.
- Style: Minimal lines and amazing drape. In the top, I love the dropped shoulder and cropped length. I love the clean waistband, bum fit, and drape in the pants. One con would be the lack of pockets, but I understand they would add bulk.
- Fabric: The collection is called Air essentials mainly because the fabric is meant to be light as air, perfect for travel and warmer weather. It’s very important that you wash it inside out in a gentle cycle. Kat says she’s owned the pants for over a year and they are in perfect condition.
Update 8 months later: It has not washed well. I still love the feel but I don’t want to wear it out because the color is too faded for my liking. I’m not sure about other colors. I’m still going to order the butterscotch and see if the same happens.
- Fit — Sweatpants: TTS. Available in Petite, Regular, and Tall. I went for the Petite, and they are perfect. However, I think they might get too short if you’re taller than 5’3″, and the regular length may work better for you.
- Fit — Sweatshirt: The drapey fabric makes this slightly oversized sweatshirt look great. You can size down if you’re petite. I ordered an S, and I feel I could have ordered an XS.
Shop More Comfy Matching Sets
The winner in this post is the fabric, so I added other styles in the same delicious fabrics. I can’t add Sweaty Betty to the widget below, so if you loved the SB luxe fleece, you can check these joggers and this top.
And that’s a wrap. I wear these sets to work from home, travel, lounge, etc. And while they are amazing as matching sets, I know they are equally amazing as separates, bringing down that cost-per-wear.
Do you want to discover your best colors from the comfort of your home and save time and money? Find more info here. You can also join me on IG (@julietatorresd) for casual chic outfits. I’d love to see you there.