Dresses hold an important place in my wardrobe. I adore the ease of wearing just one piece and being ready to go, particularly during the summer.
As I mentioned in previous posts, my body has been going through changes, and many of my beloved dresses no longer fit. That’s why I decided to order all the dresses I could find under $150 (five under $100), ranging from casual to more formal styles, to add one or two new dresses to my collection. I eagerly tried them all on to find the perfect additions to my closet.
My top 3 favorites were: the Moon River Ribbed Bodice Maxi Dress as the most neutral and easy; this floral Free People dress — which I actually already wore and loved (Ron did too) — as the most flattering and soft; and this smocked sundress also from Moon River as the prettiest print and more feminine vibe.
7 Stunning Summer Dresses From Nordstrom Under $150 (5 under $100!)
As you’ll see, most of these dresses either are printed or have a warm tone. However, if you’re into other colors or neutrals, rest assured that a lot of them come in other color options. Check out the video below to see them on me, or keep scrolling for more details.
I’m wearing all dresses with what I call “my walking/dancing summer sandals.” These wedges have proved to be the most comfortable I’ve ever owned. Just this past Saturday, I attended a 40th birthday party and danced the night away, enjoying salsa, cumbia and more, all with zero pain or discomfort.
Sizing notes: As for fit, I’m 5’1″ (and a half), short legs and short torso with a long rise, a booty and thick thighs. My dress size can be a small or medium, depending on the style, and I have to usually go for midi dresses to get that perfect length without alterations. However, if there’s a dress worthy of it, I’ll get it hemmed.
- Free People Rosie Posie Floral Dress (S): Also in pink and a light yellow, this dress is in my top 3. I wore it for date night two days ago and used fashion tape.
- Free People Lysette Maxi Dress (S): Also in blue, this one is lightweight, fresh and comfortable. The bells are a questionable decision, but all you need is to cut them off.
- Moon River Smocked Waist Sundress (S): My favorite print I tried on, and the flow skirt and pockets are wonderful.
- Moon River Floral Cutout One-Shoulder Dress (M): The print and feminine vibe are perfect for a wedding, vacations, date night and more. However, the colors were brighter than what I usually reach for.
- Moon River Ribbed Bodice Maxi Dress (S): Easy and comfortable. The maxi length might need altering if you’re petite and plan on wearing it with low heels or flat sandals.
- Melloday Geo Mock-Neck Maxi Dress (S): The fit is tricky and will feel like too much depending on your style and body type. My mom loved it, but then she tried it on, and the bust didn’t fit.
- Free People Lakeside Ruched Open-Back Dress (S): A little risqué but worth the risk, in my opinion. You can dress it up and down. I love wearing it with sneakers for a sexy yet casual vibe.
- (Bonus Dress) The day after shooting this video, another dress came in, and it’s worth mentioning. Loveappella Tiered Halter Maxi Dress (S): I used to have a comfy jumpsuit by this brand, so I decided to try a dress. It’s stretchy, lightweight and comfortable. And while I went for this olive — one of my favorite neutrals for summer – it also comes in black and other vibrant colors.
I highly recommend wearing a pair of smoothing shorts under all dresses for more comfort, avoiding thigh chafe and some smoothing.
Do you want to stop wearing black, know what colors make you glow the most, and add some color to your closet? Book your session here. You can also join me on IG (@julietatorresd) for casual-chic outfits. I’d love to see you there.