Diaper bags are maybe my favorite thing to buy, second only to shoes. Over the last six years I amassed a bit of a collection; I’ve donated most and have a few tried and true faves left, but not all of them are still on diaper duty. One I’ve repurposed as a library tote, and another one is a carry-on or small weekend bag since I gravitate towards versatile styles that look more like a mainstream bag than baby bag. As you can imagine, I was super excited to do the research for this round-up – there are so many different styles since last time I shopped for a diaper bag! I also included sections on diaper bag accessories and stroller organizers especially for you type As, plus diaper bags for dads, totes, backpacks and diaper clutches for light packers.
I chose these diaper bags from the overwhelmingly large selection online because they’re versatile and functional – the styles don’t scream “I’m holding seven kinds of wipes because each kid body part needs a different type!” (Seriously though, much love to boogie wipes, especially during allergy season).
Backpack Diaper Bags
My current favorite style is backpack because I need all the hands I can get. Clockwise from top left
- Skip Hop Chelsea Diaper Bag Backpack: Fancy backpack from Skip Hop – the attached stroller straps mean you’re never searching for them.
- Stokke Changing Diaper Bag: Love this unique convertible tote/messenger bag/backpack in always-good grey.
- Skip Hop Greenwich Simply Chic Diaper Backpack: Skip Hop has always been good, but they’re killing it now! This blush pink faux leather backpack is so amazing I’m thinking of getting it as an everyday/work/laptop bag (inside pocket holds up to 15-inch laptops or tablets). The side pocket also fits a S’well water bottle – score!
- Fisher Price Diaper Backpack with Fastfinder: Streamlined and sleek and a great price. The ‘fastfinder’ pockets are genius for quickly locating wipes – because when you need one, you really need one. Those newborn diaper blowouts in Target are no joke.
- Skip Hop Forma Pack and Go Diaper Backpack: Fun, cool pop-art pattern and wipe clean fabric. The two included zippered packs are great for keeping things like food and a change of clothing separate, or just pop in some diapers and wipes for a grab & go diaper clutch.
- Beau Joel Diaper Backpack: This canvas version doesn’t look diaper bag-like at all, except for all the useful pockets and sections when you peek inside. Love all the color options. You could use this well into big-kid years, whenever we do a family outing I always bring a backpack for water, sunscreen, snacks, wallet, whatever. Easy to carry and looks great.
These are all so gorgeous. I can’t pick a favorite – I’d use them all until the kids are in college, probably. Clockwise from top left
- timi & leslie Charlie Diaper Bag Set: I love these HUGE bags. If you need all the things whenever leaving the house with kids, this one’s for you. It comes with seven (!) accessories, including a little clutch I’d use for nights out, too.
- Lassig Glam Collection Tote Diaper Bag: Roomy pockets keep things organized, amazing price and looks more like a high-end tote. Perfect diaper bag update for warm weather!
- Kate Spade On Ponte Swan Harmony Baby Bag: Well, this is just gorgeous. Great bag if you’ve got more than one little swan trailing behind you. I’d use this bag forever.
- timi & leslie Metro Messenger Diaper Bag: Unique, pretty teal green (also in black for you color-phobes) in vegan leather with lots of accessories included. This could double as a weekend, work or gym bag when you’re done with diapers.
- Skip Hop Duo Special Edition Diaper Bag: My first diaper bag was this style, and I loved it. (Still use it as a library book bag!) This black & white striped update is uber-chic. I’d keep using this as a regular tote bag well after baby’s in underoos.
- Storksak Lucinda Leather Diaper Bag: This one’s special because it’s real leather, and even better – on sale! Edgy and glam, but still polished enough to use as a work bag or stylish tote afterwards.
Diaper Clutches are great if you switch bags a lot and need the essentials in one place, or to keep in the car as backup in case of diaper emergencies. Clockwise from top left
- Petunia Pickle Bottom Convertible Clutch: Could double as a regular clutch or purse, very sophisticated! Lots of color options.
- Skip Hop Proto Changing Mat Station: Super versatile (and large), throw it into any regular bag and go if you’re feeling minimalistic
- Petunia Pickle Bottom Take Along Diaper Changing Kit: This one’s so stylish, and had separate pockets for keeping things organized. Comes with a chic black wipes case and large, removeable changing pad. I’d use it as a cosmetics or travel pouch when baby’s done with diapers.
- JJ Cole Changing Clutch: This one folds out into a fairly large oval mat, and comes in tons of colors & patterns. I love this cool black & white plaid version.
- Haiku Diaper Kit: A separate changing pad and roomy interior make this little aqua diaper clutch a no-brainer.
Diaper Bags for Dads
I did include a separate section for dads, but really, they’re for anyone. Clockwise from top left
- XLR8 Connect and Go Backpack Diaper Bag: Gadget guys, rejoice! This bad boy boasts over 20 pockets and a built-in charging station, attached Bluetooth speaker, plus an interior LED light to easily find what you’re looking for.
- Bugaboo Changing Bag: Cool foldover top bag that has a separate bottom compartment, always handy to have more storage options.
- TWELVElittle Courage Unisex Backpack Diaper Bag: This brand gets rave reviews, I’m loving their styles.
- Babymel Ally Faux Leather Diaper Bag: This would be a great cooler weather diaper bag, which could live on as a work/laptop or camera bag. Very upscale, Brooklyn look.
- TWELVElittle Unisex Courage Diaper Satchel: Unique shape that can easily double as a gym bag, carry-on or weekender.
- Petunia Pickle Bottom Pathways Diaper Bag: Handsome, stylish messenger/tote style with lots of pockets.
Diaper Bag Organizers
Nothing like searching for a bag of goldfish while the toddler goes to the ground mid-tantrum. I’ve relied on various pouches and holders to keep me sane(-ish?) through the little kid years.
- Petunia Pickle Bottom Pacifier Porter Case: Keep a supply of pacis always at the ready – clips on to any diaper bag or purse for easy a quick fix when tiny ones are losing their tiny minds! Mildly obsessed with this sophisticute black & white pattern.
- Sugarbooger Diaper Bag Organizer Pouches: This set warms my little Type-A heart. Not only does this set keep your diaper bag ultra-organized, it has cute little illustrations to tell you what goes in which bag. Makes it easy to grab what you need quickly, super helpful when
- JuJuBe Onyx Collection Be Set: A set of 3 diaper organizer bags that are machine washable, teflon outside and antibacterial inside to contain any messes your little one might gift you with. There’s an included strap to turn the largest one into a mini shoulder bag, and the mid-size one doubles as a wristlet.
- Bumkins Wet Dry Bag: I’ve used this waterproof bag non-stop for the last few years – first as a diaper bag must-have to contain dirty clothes after diaper incidents (and that brief period when I cloth diapered my first), then as a pool/beach/lake bag to hold kids’ wet bathing suits on the way home. Toss the bag in the washing machine, easy peasy – doesn’t retain any odors. Tons of patterns & colors!
- Tote Savvy Mini: Turn any bag into a diaper bag – pack the portable insert with essentials, then pop into any tote. Great for beach days or travel, too.
These were a lifesaver when we lived in the city and walked with the stroller every day, everywhere. Clockwise from top left
- Skip Hop Grab & Go Stroller Bag: Amazingly roomy bag that attached right onto your stroller – seriously, look how much stuff it can hold! This is perfect for small grocery shopping or city living. I would have loved this when we lived near D.C. and I walked my eldest everywhere in our City Jogger, especially on the daily Whole Foods trips since it was just down the street.
- Skip Hop Stroll & Go Phone Case Tether Strap: Especially good for keeping baby entertained and contained in a stroller while you enjoy fun adult things like dinner out or waiting in all manner of lines, from airport security to DMV to Target checkout. Tantrum-proof if it gets tossed in a fit of rage, too.
- Skip Hop Grab & Go Stroller Organizer: The detachable wristlet is great for taking your phone & credit cards along when you leave the stroller outside a store, etc. I used this one daily when we lived in the city to hold mama’s caffeine and essentials, sippy cups, snacks, boogie wipes – basically it functioned as a portable purse.
- Stroller Organizer: This one’s extra large if you’re carrying a lot of stuff or don’t want to take along a diaper bag.
- Convertible Stroller Organizer: I like that this one converts into a tote or mini diaper bag, tons of storage options. On sale!