Frustration and disappointment are the two words that describe my search for tall boots since September.
Tall boots have been non-existent in my closet for years. I actually had no idea I had wide calves in relation to my feet and body until I decided to bring tall boots back in my life. I’ve shared on my Instagram (@julietatorresd), that after weaning my youngest I gained some weight. It wasn’t super-noticeable (at least to me), but my ill-fitting jeans don’t lie. Tall boots don’t either.
I initially loved Shana’s snake print Sam Edelman boots, but they were tight on my bare leg. Over jeans? Forget about it. The same story happened at least five more times. I returned all the tall boots I’d bought.
Snap ‘Em Up: Tall Boots For Wide Calves Worth Buying Now
But just when I was ready to give up, there they were! Not one, but three pairs, all on crazy sale. This is the first time in my life I bought something based on negative reviews. It was amazing to see all of the “calf is too wide” comments.
This is actually the best time of year to get some high-quality boots you can wear again and again. Wide calves = a blessing in disguise when you can get great tall boots for over 50% off. Here are two pairs I have (and love,) plus another pair that would be perfect for our taller mamas.
1. Cole Haan Perfect Pairs Glenda Knee High Boots
This is the first pair I found. The style and variety of colors hooked me right away. I ordered them in taupe and tan, but honestly, I’m wondering why I didn’t get the snake print pair. Should I go for it?
Featured: Cole Haan Perfect Pairs Glenda Knee High Boot – 60% off right now and available in 4 colors.
Details: Cole Haan Perfect Pairs Glenda Knee High Boots
- Calf circumference: 14 3/4″
- Heel: 3.5″. A little higher than my average boot heel, but for that price and quality, I kept them for the occasions I do wear a high heel.
- Zipper: No, but it does have hidden elastic at the ankle for easy on/easy off.
- Comfort: Soft cushioning. What I love the most about Cole Haan shoes is that there’s always cushioning. These have the GRANDFØAM cushioning, which absorbs shock and distributes weight with each step.
- Sizing: They run on the smaller side. I went a 1/2 size up yet I can’t wear them with thick socks, so maybe one full size is better if you prefer thicker socks.
Note on color: The British Tan color is not as bright as it looks in the retailer pic. It’s softer and more taupe-ish, which I actually like. Now, the actual Taupe is more gray. I initially was going for the Taupe, but they were too gray for my skin and wardrobe so I kept the British Tan.
This is the pair I’m wearing weekly. I bought them for full-price at $350, but after wearing them for just one day at home, I decided the color, fit and heel would allow a lot of wears, so it justified the price. Soon after they went on sale and I was able to get a price adjustment (which is always great business from a brand). I’m even happier with them now.
Featured: Cole Haan Willa Boot – Up to 60% off right now, and also available in black.
Details: Cole Haan Willa Boots
- Calf Circumference: 14 1/4″
- Heel: 2 3/4″. I wear 2″ heeled shoes pretty much every day and was ecstatic when I saw the heel on these.
- Comfort: Insanely comfortable. These have the same GRANDFØAM cushioned footbed I mentioned above (I already tested them walking in NYC).
- Zipper: No, but you can see where the elastic is on the first pic. Love how clean they look without the hardware.
- Color: I know green boots are not common, but this green is a great neutral and perfect to add something a little unconventional to your wardrobe. It goes great with pretty much everything, and is a color that makes dressing up and dressing down easy.
- Sizing: I went a 1/2 size up because of the pointy toe. I think it’s important to have some room.
3. Charles David Intermix Knee High Boots (The Widest Of Them All)
These were a no for my short legs. They hit me mid-knee, and just look and feel funny. But, I’m including these for our tall mamas.
Featured: Charles David Intermix Knee High Boot – Available on Amazon
Details: Charles David Intermix Knee High Boots
- Calf Circumference: These are extra wide on the calf, measuring 17″.
- Heel: 3.5″
- Color: This deep chocolate brown was the color I was looking for the whole time, but couldn’t find for me. It’s understated and elegant.
- Sizing: TTS.
3 Ways I’m Rocking Tall Wide-Calf Boots Into Spring
1. Tall Boots With Skinny Jeans & A Floral Silk Top
2. Tall Boots To Complement A Midi Dress With A Sexy Slit
3. Tall Boots All Day, Everyday With Straight-Leg Jeans & A Square Neck Top
Hope this helps my fellow mamas with wider calves. We can still find fashionable boots! Which pair is your favorite?
For more boots, a lot of high-rise jeans, and a real and honest take on body image and motherhood, let’s connect on Instagram (@julietatorresd) Social media shouldn’t be for the good things only.