You guys have been after me to pull together some office-friendly looks. So. If your current workwear wardrobe could use a refresh, here are the nine pieces I’m recommending for Fall. Some pieces may already be in your closet (great!!) and some of these pieces can also be styled for weekend wear. So here’s how I’d put these pieces into a Monday – Friday rotation.
I know I’ve already covered this outfit here, but it’s so versatile, I thought it worth another mention. Update your classic black blazer with skinny, cropped trousers, a graphic tee and printed pumps.
Remember those patterned chino pants we were all buying a couple of years ago? They work great at the office with a basic silk blouse and conservative blazer. Keep the look current with some contrasting-print pumps. It’s a baby step into the (huge) mixed-print trend.
Short-sleeve sweatshirts are a big trend this Fall, and you can easily take yours to work with a bold pencil skirt. Bonus points for printed shoes. (And I like to ground the whole outfit with a man-watch.)
Go gamine by slipping a silk blouse underneath the short-sleeve sweatshirt. You could accessorize with an understated necklace….but I’m more of a minimalist, so I’ll stick with patterned heels and nerd glasses.
The graphic tee and bold pencil skirt is made office-appropriate by the basic blazer. This is a great day-to-night look, too.
Ok, so the tricky part here is finding mixed print pieces that all work together, right? Well. Here’s what I came up with….
1. For the Bold Modernist
Pants – Mara Hoffman Printed Combo Pants, $246 at ShopBuru
Shoes – Sole Society Isabelle Pump in black/white, $60
2. For the Cheerful
Pants – J.Crew Collection Inky Floral Pant, $248 (take 25% off with code SHOPFORFALL)
Skirt – Loft Autumn Bloom Pencil Skirt, $70
Shoes – Boden 60’s slingback, $148
3. For the Glam Tomboy
Pants – Boden Bistro Crop Trousers in Navy Leopard, $88
Shoes – Banana Republic Ivonne Leopard Pump, on sale for $102 (plus 50% off sale styles)
4. For the Chic Nerd
Pants – J.Crew Factory Winnie Pant, on sale for $60 (additional 30% off with code SALE30)
Skirt – Halogen Floral Print Pencil Skirt, $60 at Nordstrom
Shoes – J.Crew Stella Houndstooth Pumps, $248 (25% off with code SHOPFORFALL)
There’s a ton of new skirt shapes out there, but if your office is conservative, I’d stick with a pencil skirt. The straight lines help to calm mixed print craziness. And for the nervous: you might be surprised by how easy it is to wear mixed prints when you get your shoes involved.
1. Printed Pumps – Sole Society Olyvia in Black/White, $65
3. Statement Skirt – old…but WhiteHouse/Black Market has a blue floral pencil skirt, and so does Boden (floral pencil skirt on super sale)
5. Skinny Black Pants – mine are old ponte pants by Vince…here are Vince’s latest (trimmed in leather)…Jen7 just sent me this pair and they are fabulous (I need to hem them, more later)….or there’s always J.Crew’s minnie pant (yup – they’re 25% off with SHOPFORFALL).
7. Silk Blouse – Everlane Silk Blouse, rounded collar ($80, size small for reference)
8. Men’s watch – Mike’s Tissot – I like pieces like this because I think they’re grounding with all of the pattern play.
Whaddya think, Mamas? Is this something you could pull off at your office?