About a year ago or so, I was casually perusing Pinterest with my morning coffee (as one does) and I happened upon a pair of Golden Goose sneakers. Now, these were not just any pair of sneakers. They were beyond: refined yet modern…all with a vintage style. Whoa.
I immediately clicked the link to purchase these sneaker unicorns and…oh. Little did I know that they came with a big, HUGE price tag. So therefore my infatuation ended abruptly.
I started to see Golden Goose popping up EVERYWHERE — Instagram, blogs, Facebook. As much as I tried to bury my feelings for these sneakers, deep down in the depths of my fashion blogger soul…I wanted them. BAD.
I just couldn’t get past the price. $200? Maybe. Considering cost-per-wear, plus the fact that they’re perfect. But more than $300? hmm. That’s a lot. I didn’t get why so many people were willing to shell out such big bucks for them.
So. S, being well aware of our mutual obsession over these shoes, finally decided: it was time to test them out. One of us HAD TO DO IT. It just made sense, considering how popular they are and that we are a style blog. Being the self-sacrificing, generous person that I am, I agreed to take on the task. A pair of Golden Goose were ordered, shipped and delivered to my casa…and I may have squealed a little when opening up the box.
It is now official. The Mom Edit is in possession of THE “IT” SHOE. It was time to give these babies a real try and possibly give them the TME stamp of approval (…or at least a nod).
A Review of Golden Goose Sneakers
So. I’ve been wearing these puppies for the past couple of months now, and I can say, without question, that this is a really. cool. shoe. They’ve beat out my Converse, and I get why they’ve become so popular. They are just…really cool.
In order to really lay it all out there for ya, though, I put together a Golden Goose Sneaker pros and cons list…all are my own observations and honest thoughts on them.
- the designers (Francesca Rinaldo and Alessandro Gallo) are from Italy, so, yeh. Legit footwear.
- raised heel bed, which makes the shoe appear to be a bit smaller than it actually is. *this is just an observation, not 100% fact. I am 99% sure that that is how they engineered the shoe, though. I could feel it and even see it.
- the overall style is just the epitome of everything a street-style sneaker should be — sporty (but chic), with understated details — in the star and its placement, unique colors of the soles, laces & of course, a proper amount of scuffing.
- comfortable — the foot bed is slightly cushioned & the laces can be worn more loose to make it a more roomy fit
- all-leather – never a bad thing. They smell good and I know that they will last.
- They’re $300+.
- I’ve noticed that they feel a bit stiff (in the sides and soles, specifically). I have been wearing them for a coupe of months now, though, and they are getting to the point where they feel like they’re getting to that perfectly worn-in place…and I think that they’ll just get better with time.
- I find that they fit a bit smaller…and I even ordered a size 41/10 (and I am usually a 9.5). It’s not a huge problem, but it’s something to be aware of. It may be the particular style that I have, but I thought it was definitely info. worth passing on to you.
Hey. I made a video, too! I can’t help myself.
Our Favorite Golden Goose Sneakers
So here’s my vigorous nod to Golden Goose Sneakers. Ya done good. Now, if you would just possibly consider doing a more affordable line…maybe at Target? Many of us would be really appreciative, thanks. 😉
Are there any other specific items or brands that you’ve been dying to try out, but just can’t…because $ or can’t be bothered? LET US KNOW. We want to really test things out — see them in person, wear them in our everyday and share our honest thoughts with you.
Find me over on Instagram (@camilledipaola) where I share the mess & craziness of marriage and three kids. It’s a party.
Photos by Christina Hussey Photography.
Note: This post was originally published in 2017, but was recently updated to include a fresh crop of Golden Goose sneakers. Two years later, and we’re still loving them. xo!