Right about now, I'm starting to ache for Spring. Which means that I tend to view Denver's eternally sunny skies optimistically: the sun is out, therefore it's warm, right? No. Not by a long shot. Add to the mix the fact that magazines are filled with Spring fashion coverage, boutiques have winter items on super sale and window displays are showing the most fabulous little gauzy dresses, tops and sandals. BOOOOOOOO.
I could seriously use some fashion inspiration. So Molly and I asked a few boutique owners and a personal shopper at Nordstroms to put together some inspiring looks to help us get through the winter. First up? Stacy McElhany, mom of Emerson and owner of Violet Boutique, Denver.
When Stacy asked us what kind of outfit we were looking for, I told her to put on something inspired. And Stacy's outfit (pictured) is certainly inspired, with a very unlikely source of inspiration: Dick Van Dyke in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
NOTE: Emerson took one look at her mum and declared that she did look like "that man". Mission accomplished!
I love that Stacy effortlessly rocks the boyfriend denim trend (with socks! My favorite!), the denim-on-denim trend, the ankle-bootie trend, and the long cardigan trend without looking contrived.
Ideas To Takeaway:
- Try layering a vest under a long cardigan, or even layering a paper-thin cardigan (buttoned up) under a bulkier cardigan
- Try wearing your boyfriend jeans rolled up, with socks and ankle boots for cool, effortless vibe.
- Throw on a brooch to glam up boy-inspired outfits.
- Experiment with men-inspired neckwear. Stacy's silk scarf almost seems like an ascot, and I, inspired by Stacy, wore a white shirt, men's tie and a buttoned, vneck boyfriend cardi with jeans the other day. I ended up getting quite a few compliments. It's unexpected and fun.
- For a cohesive look, keep the color palette to a minimum. Stacy's basic colors are shades of black, shades of denim, and white.
Most of the items Stacy is wearing have come from her store at one point or another. Her boyfriend jeans (It's Ellie jean) will be available at Violet this Spring. She's also wearing a Grandpa cardigan by Cullen, Denim Vest by Pink, Rebecca Taylor White Blouse, Blowfish Booties, Ralph Lauren Trouser socks, Adina Reyter hoop earrings, and a Vintage Replication brooch.
If you have more questions for Stacy, or would like to order from Violet, call her at 720-932-1655.
Hmmmm….I always forget about movies as fashion inspiration. Winter is the perfect time to snuggle up with an old movie. And be inspired. Dick Van Dyke? Who knew?
Thanks, Stacy! You look fantastic!
Fun. I like this. Not sure I could pull it off…but love it nonetheless.