This post is sponsored by Gap & ShopStyle.
Hi friends! Keeping the intro quick today because the big news is: GAP is having a flash sale — 50% off all jeans and 40% off everything else — and I’m going to attempt to show you how to make the most of it via a little Choose-Your-Own Denim Capsule Wardrobe situation.
From Working Out To Work From Home, A Gap Capsule Wardrobe For Everyday
This post is LOADED — one of those labor of love types — but the the gist is that, with a base of great, timeless denim, an easy tote and nine other outfit pieces (give or take, obviously — these are just my very favorite finds after spending an embarrassing amount of time culling the entire site) you’ll have all the outfits you need to cover lounging, conference calls, workouts, running the elusive errand, getting your daily dose of sunshine and more.
And, when all this is said and done, these items all work overtime for school drop-off, brunches out, soccer games, casual Friday. Even date night. Just round out the 8 outfit ideas here (and really, there are 14 because almost every outfit ALSO works with jeans) with your favorite jewelry and footwear, and your spring-to-summer wardrobe is taken care of.
So here’s the formula:
Start With A Pair Of Jeans
We all know how personal denim can be. I’ve chosen four of my favorites here, just as a starting point, but by all means browse the entire collection of jeans to your heart’s content. During the flash sale, all denim is 50% off, so it’s the perfect excuse to go with a style you might not already own. Or go tried-and-true.
1. High Rise Destructed Cheeky Straight // I gravitated toward these immediately when I first navigated to the Jeans page — I just can’t resist destroyed denim, and I’m so curious about the Cheeky fit — it’s supposed to do wonders for the bum. These guys are 100% cotton (which I LOVE) — reviews make it sound like sizing up is the way to go. Available in Tall and Petite, too.
2. BetterMade High Rise True Skinny (Sustainable!) // These are Gap’s most sustainably made jeans, and the fabrication is so cool, featuring premium Italian denim made with 100% organic cotton and dyed with water-saving indigo juice. I mean — what!? FYI: while the website says these are stretch, the few reviews make it sound like they fit and conform much more like rigid denim.
3. High Rise Curvy Cheeky Straight // Another Cheeky jean that caught my eye, but these are built for curves. Love the lighter wash and how it would contrast with the chambray in the capsule (they’re also available in a medium indigo). With 1% elastane, these are nearly rigid. Available in Tall and Petite, too.
4. High Rise True Skinny Sailor Ankle Jeans // Total sucker for sailor pants, and the details here are fun in that they’re, a little unexpectedly, found on a skinny jean. I’ve yet to try Gap’s Secret Smoothing Pockets, so I’m especially tempted by these, especially considering how easy it would be to dress the darker rinse up or down. Reviews are excellent. Available in Tall and Petite, too, but sizes are going fast.
(All of the styles I happened to gravitate toward are high-rise; if you want something in the mid-rise category, these Mid-Rise True Skinny Jeans are timeless and have almost 5 stars from 150 reviews!)
Add A Tote
5. & 6. Canvas Tote // This seasonless tote is available in six colors, but the Lavender Pink feels so old-school Gap in the very best way, and the Camo brings a little personality to the capsule — while still being undeniably neutral. My favorite thing about this tote, though? It’s washable. Yes, the website says to wipe clean, but I’ve hand-washed mine in the kitchen sink (I’ve even *cough*machine-washed it *cough* — on the delicate or hand-wash setting) and hung it to air-dry overnight, which is so handy in a world where we’re constantly having to wipe ALL THE THINGS down upon returning home from errands. I’m even tempted to snag a second one while they’re on sale, so I can rotate while the other is in the wash. Classic tote styling, sturdy enough to use daily, and a truly versatile size. And the outside pocket is handy for stashing quickly accessible items. Like hand sanitizer. Duh.
Mix It Up With These 9 Outfit Pieces
Oy, narrowing all of Gap’s inventory down to just a handful of pieces wasn’t easy — literally just about everything is on sale for 40% off during this current flash sale! — but I’m feeling pretty good about where we ended up: a mix of pieces that are well-suited to today’s social situations while still being 100% adaptable to life in the real world. And, in keeping with what Gap does best, everything is timeless and classic with a subtle, all-American vibe. Easy.
7. Double Strap Cami Jumpsuit // This is one of those few pieces I can genuinely see wearing as much right this minute as I will when all this is over. It’s perfect for the office — just add a cardi or knotted shirt — and at home, it’s comfortable while the slim shape and rayon-spandex fabrication allow it to be just a bit chic. Available in Tall and Petite, too.
8. Open Back Tank // This tank has almost 5 stars from 600 reviews, guys. It’s got Gap’s gDry Moisture Wicking, so it’s truly a performance knit made to handle workouts, but the slinky shape allows it to be styled much like a shell if you needed to pop onto a video conference — especially under a cardi.
9. Denim Western Shirt // Despite being called a “denim” shirt, the reviews all echo how soft and lightweight this piece is, so I’m classifying it as more of a chambray number. Big points for the snap closure, which feels genuinely Western — and I love that they didn’t get too carried away with the wash here. A perfect, medium indigo with just a big of fading. 100% cotton. I’d wear this knotted over just about anything.
10. & 11. Striped V-Neck Pullover Hoodie and Pull-On Shorts // Be. Still. My. Heart. I’m amazed I don’t yet own something like this. I mean, if not now, when — right? But what I love the most about this “set” (they’re actually sold as separates) is how functional each piece operates on its own. I especially love the navy edging on the shorts. And again, these are both 100% cotton. Swoon.
12. Marled Swing Cardigan // I am always drawn to the airyness of an open knit, and the boxy shape that’s neither too long nor too cropped makes this a piece I would reach for over and over again. 100% cotton, too.
13. High Rise Perforated Leggings // Look closely, friends — there’s a very subtle black-on-black camo print happening here that is almost too good to be true. In fact, I think if it were more prominently called out on the website, there’s a good chance these would be out of stock. Lucky for you, Eagle Eye Em over here has your back. Truly performance, maximum coverage (no peekaboo undies!) fabrication means these are legit workout pants masquerading as the perfect legging.
14. Linen-Cotton Utility Jogger // I’m not typically drawn to golden yellow hues, and in fact, in the first iteration of this capsule, I had chosen the khaki version of this same pant. But there’s something about the sunshiny hue of these easy, pull-on pants that completely changes the vibe of the collection. It feels especially fresh and nautical with the striped hoodie, below — and when beaches officially reopen, I can see these being the perfect piece to pull on over a bikini (with that white tank, of course).
15. Cropped Utility Denim Jacket // I’m drawn to so many details on this jacket, I’m not sure which to address first. The scale and proportions look to be perfection — the cropped length works especially well with all the high-waisted denim picks above. The utility pockets are a bit of a departure from your typical flap/patch chest pocket. And of course there’s the color, which brings to mind a fatigue jacket. But when you look closer, you realize: this is no fatigue cloth, oh no. This is actual denim that’s been treated with a light, colored wash, which somehow makes it feel way more fresh and interesting. In short: I’d be hard-pressed to come up with a top I wouldn’t layer this over. Not loving the green wash? This classic and sustainable (!!) BetterMade Crop Icon Denim Jacket has, umm, iconic jean jacket styling and features premium Italian denim made with 100% organic cotton and dyed with water-saving indigo juice. So dang cool.
1 Capsule Wardrobe, 8 Easy Lifestyle Looks
I started out with more than two dozen looks here, but in the end I narrowed it down to these versatile eight looks, six of which can be instantly doubled by swapping the bottoms. And really, let’s not insult your intelligence. I know you’ll look at these and see the little things you could switch up to create even more combos. Let’s jump in.
1) Layers To Lounge In
Let’s call this what it is: an excuse to wear jammies all day. But unlike the ratty t-shirt and hipster briefs I actually wear to bed, this is 100% cute enough to leave the house in. I always love a hoodie layered with a jacket, and that takes this look instantly to the street (though if it’s warm where you are, I’d totally wear the set without the jacket, too). Sneaks would be easy with this; bonus points if you add an easy platform sandal.
2) Sleepwear to Beachwear
Let’s acknowledge that it’s actually starting to feel like summer in some parts and give these shorts a little warm weather treatment. Breezy little tank (I especially like the idea of this one over a bikini top if you have the opportunity to get near a pool or beach) and a denim shirt to knot over the top.
3) Grocery Store Cozy
This is the barely-dressed kind of outfit I’ve been living in — it’s intentional, as in: it’s not what I slept in — and it’s nothing I’d be ashamed to leave the house in should I draw the short straw for the weekly shop. (In actuality, Chris has volunteered every week, God bless him.) And as far as leggings and a sweatshirt go, it doesn’t get much more classic (or cuter). I’ve also given myself a little extra leeway with outfits that start with leggings because they transition into a mid-afternoon workout pretty easily (if I can convince myself to get it done). And yes — chasing your kiddo around the neighborhood while she practices her wheelie skills totally counts.
4) Working (Out) From Home
Such a no-brainer. A little morning yoga — maybe a fave at-home workout class — and when it’s time to check in with the team via video conference, you add the cardigan, maybe a hoop earring, and no one is the wiser.
5) Casual Cruising
We’ve been going for A LOT of neighborhood bike rides around here, and to me, this outfit just screams BEACH CRUISER — especially with the shirt worn mostly unbuttoned and tied. Joggers are perfect for cycling or bike commuting because you can scrunch up the leg to avoid chain grease — and in the jeans version, stretch denim with a skinny profile is equally practical.
6) Farmer’s Marketing
Our weekly farmer’s market has remained open here — albeit with heavily enforced social distancing restrictions — but that doesn’t mean you’ve gotta skimp on the cheer. These pants are literally sunshine in a jogger — and the layers are key for early mornings before the fog burns off.
7) Date Night In
Ha! Is anyone actually doing date nights in? In reality this could also easily be another work from home (or, eventually, work from work) outfit — it’s both comfortable and chic — but I like the idea of adding a strappy heel to this, blasting some tunes and cooking a fancy(ish) meal together. Or maybe just taking a glass of wine into the backyard after the kiddo goes to bed. Same difference?
8) Front Porch Sittin’
In yesteryear’s world I’d have tossed this into the brunch category, but in this day and age, I’m going with the next best thing: some good ol’ stoopin’. Bring that Bloody Mary out onto the front porch, swap gossip with your neighbors from a respectable distance — and look pulled together yet carefree while doing it.
Shop All Capsule Wardrobe Inspo In This Post,
Plus More Gap Sale Faves
(50% Off Jeans, 40% off Everything Else)
Hope everyone is staying well out there.
Thank you to Gap and ShopStyle for sponsoring this post. I’ve loved Gap since I was a kiddo shopping the sale racks with my momma (pretty sure I have rifling through the upper clearance racks to thank for my somewhat toned shoulders — you think I’m joking…) so sharing some of my favorite Gap finds hardly feels like work. And, as always, thanks to you for reading along and supporting TME’s partners, especially during these unprecedented times. Even if you’re just here for the mini mental escape, we appreciate it more than you know.
Guys! Follow me on Instagram for more peeks into our life on the Northern California coast. And if you feel so inclined, pop over to my personal food + lifestyle blog, The Pig & Quill, where I share salty scribblings from my kitchen and home life. Byeeeeee!