Summer beauty is all about effortless, easy looks that can last all day; from the pool to the BBQ, from the beach to the fireworks. Most of us don’t want to wear a full face of foundation and powders and shadows to the beach. (Plus who has the time??) Instead, a few key products can help you look put-together (dare I say sexy even?) and ready for whatever weather the summer brings your way. This is my list of summer beauty essentials–those products that I cannot live without–from eyeliner and shadows that are easy to apply and stay on to my favorite lip and cheek stains, from bronzing lotions that cover imperfections to hair care products that actually do reduce frizz. Here are my summer beauty products for 2015!
1. Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner: These are my favorite eyeliners because they go on creamy for a smooth application and then dry to STAY PUT until you take them off with makeup remover. They come in a number of fun colors for summer . . . add a pop of blue or purple on your eyes and you have a quick and easy look. (I recommend deep end or electric for blue and asphyxia or psychedelic sister for purple . . . see my Instagram for an example!)
2. Benefit’s High Beam: This is the BEST highlighter for summer. Just dab a few drops on top of your cheekbones for a glow that’s shimmery, not glittery. You can add it to moisturizer for a gorgeous allover dewey finish.
3. Benefit’s Sun Beam: A darker version of High Beam for those of you who tan during the summer (or if you have darker skin to begin with). Used the same way as High Beam.
4. Algenist Repairing Tint & Radiance Moisturizer SPF 30: “A multiaction tinted moisturizer that blurs the look of fine lines and wrinkles and improves skin radiance with the added protection of SPF 30.” Sounds too good to be true, right? It’s not . . . it adds coverage without feeling heavy and evens out my skin tone without feeling like foundation. (Plus 30 SPF means I don’t have to worry about my face frying in the sun if I forget sunscreen.)
5. Living Proof Anti-Frizz Haircare Line: I cannot, cannot live without this line. Years ago, I saw the creators on Dr. Oz doing a demonstration of how their anti-frizz technology works and was skeptical but intrigued. I tried them and have been using it ever since . . . my frizzy hair that used to have to be straightened into submission can now go without heat styling tools thanks to these products!
6. Benefit’s Posietint:#’s 6-9 are my favorite lip and cheek tints by Benefit. In the summer liquid tints just feel better (lighter) than powders, and Benefit makes them in four awesome colors for a sheer (not heavy!) wash of color on your face. Posietint is a bright pink color that looks great on warm skin tones. (see here for details on how to apply)
7. Benefit’s Cha Cha Tint: A bright coral color. This one looks best on tanner skin.
8. Benefit’s Benetint: The original rose-colored tint. Very sheer and flattering on all skin tones.
9. Benefit’s Lollitint: A candy-pink color . . . a little more purple than the Posietint and looks good on cool skin tones!
10. Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs: This is a holy grail of mine . . . it’s how to get flawless-looking skin on your legs. I’ve had spider veins on my legs since middle school and this covers them. Bruises? Gone. Cuts and scrapes? Covered. This stuff makes your legs look like you could walk down a Victoria’s Secret runway. Ok, mayyybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration . . . but it’s good! FYI, it is a little messy . . . the directions tell you to spray it on your hand first, but I’ve found that it’s easier to just spray and rub directly onto your skin. I’ve used it alone and with lotion (lotion makes it easier to spread onto your skin) and it comes in a number of shades for different skin tones.
11. Lorac’s TANtalizer: This is a body bronzing “luminizer,” or lotion as I call it. 🙂 It moisturizes, evens out skin tone and smells heavenly. While the “Airbrush Legs” is more opaque and doesn’t moisturize . . . this is more sheer and applies like lotion. Both work to make you look like you have gorgeous glowy skin.
12. Buxom’s Lip Polish: Our favorite lip glosses. These plump your lips and STAY on. You won’t find yourself having to reapply over and over again! There are SO MANY colors to choose from, the hardest part will be narrowing it down to one. Our favorite colors for summer include “Debbie” (coral pink), “Kelly” (flashy neon pink), “Patricia” (vibrant fuchsia) and “Erin” (blushing lavender).
13. Blinc Mascara: The BIGGEST problem I have with mascaras is that they smudge . . . not this stuff. Instead of “painting” your lashes like most mascara, this stuff creates “tubes” around your lashes that are water-resistant and don’t come off until you use a warm washcloth to loosen them. I’d use this in a fun color (it comes in purple, blue and green along with the traditional black and brown) to add a pop of color that won’t smear all over the place.
14. Laura Mercier Metallic Creme Eye Colour: Speaking of not smearing, this stuff is my favorite stay-put eyeshadow. It is EASY to use and comes in some gorgeous metallic shades that you can apply with a brush or your finger and once dried, it won’t budge. “Alloy” is my favorite shade . . . part grey, part beige, it’s a neutral metallic that would complement anyone’s skin tone. (For a more dramatic look, you can sweep it both on the lid and the lower lash line as liner . . . no worrying about smears and smudging). For more makeup tips and tricks, check out our Beauty blog!
*How-to’s featuring some of the products listed above to come! Check out my instagram (@scottiliz) for teaser pics!
P.S. I’m always on the lookout for new and exciting products, so let me know if you have a summer beauty essential you can’t live without!