Some may argue that the entire TME team has a
serious slight denim addiction. And it’s true – Shana’s the ringleader of it all. When she came in to the office the other day beaming over how she found the “perfect high rise black jeans” I, naturally, bought them on the spot. Ugh. Working for a fashion blog is not easy on your wallet. #gofigure.
But hey, I love my new jeans. (And I’m not in denial about my crazy clothes spending habits. Not at all. $$$)
On a serious note – black denim is all over right now. Doesn’t it feel so model-off-duty-chic? (did I just make that up?) Plus, it brings some real versatility to the pieces you already have and love. Wear them with your coziest sweater and sneaks for daytime or dress them up with a sexy top and heels for date night. Run your errands around the city in your favorite tee and..you guessed it: black jeans. Want to keep it comfortable AND night out appropriate? The answer is black jeans. The options are all there, right? And that, is why you need these in your life.
If you’ve yet to find the perfect pair for you, don’t worry. Even we’re overwhelmed by the thought of all. the. washes. and all. the. rises. etc. Collectively, our team has tried a ton and even surveyed friends (you all remember Linz, right?) to narrow it down and pass along the pairs we’re wearing ourselves.
Here’s how we’ve broken it down and the five pairs we think are THE BEST. Trust us, it’s no exaggeration. These are amazing. Check out our picks for best wash, best high rise, best for wider calves, best distressed & best budget pair and why right here:
The Best Black Denim Right Now
- MOTHER The Flirt Chew (Shana’s Pick for Best Wash) – She said these are perfectly faded with a modern straight leg cut. Pair ’em with your go-to booties for juuust the right proportions. Oh – and MOTHER jeans are soft and great for wearing daily, FYI. They’re not too stiff and hold up well in the wash.
- rag & bone/JEAN High Rise Ankle Skinny (Gwen and Shana’s Pick for Best High Rise) – (It’s Gwen) rag & bone/JEAN may be my favorite brand. They fit perfectly on the butt, just stretchy enough but not SO much that they sag ..like ever. and always come in great washes. This is the pair that Shana came home with and I promptly ordered for myself. Still not regretting it. True to size.
- Lucky Brand Hayden High Rise Sculpting Skinny Jean (Linzi’s Pick, Best for Wide Calves) – Linzi was super excited about these. She texted me a full report (love that about her). She called these a “nighttime jean” and said they suck you in (which she likes) but she also suggests going up a size. These work well if you’re working with a little extra booty or calves.
- AG The Legging Ripped Super Skinny Jeans (Shana’s Pick for Best Distressed) – Shana’s tried and true faves. If you haven’t heard her wax poetic about these jeans (or any AG’s for that matter) you’re missing out. She’ll totally have you convinced that you need them. They’re just distressed enough, not overboard and the perfect not-too-black wash. For a real idea of the color, they’re featured at the top of this article. She lives in these.
- Madewell 9″ High-Rise Skinny Jeans (Laura’s Pick for Best Budget Pair) – She says “The 9″ is the perfect rise for me, not too high not too low and they hold their shape so well. I loved their slightly faded black wash, too.”
Not feeling any of the pairs shown above? Try these on for size…
Shop More Black Jeans
Do you have a pair of black jeans you absolutely LOVE? Leave me a comment below!
(..or maybe don’t…because we all know my shopping self-control is basically non-existent. #help)