It’s almost that time of year, Mamas. That glorious, no-school, stay-up-late, drinks on the beach, sand on the feet, ice cream every night…that time of year.
Usually we launch our swim guide around Mother’s Day, but last year you told us, in no uncertain terms, that Mother’s Day was too late. Finding a swimsuit requires time. And commitment. A few weeks in May isn’t going to cut it.
So without further ado, our 2017 One-Piece Swim Guide is available now. It includes the best one-piece suits for post-partum and nursing, the best one-piece suits for covering up that loose skin around your belly button (if you care – and we really don’t), the most supportive suits for the large chested, the sexiest suits for the mama who doesn’t take life too seriously, and the best surf suits for playing hard with the kiddos.
And because there are So. Many. Suits. To. Choose. From…..our personal favs, our Editor Picks, can be found below.
(ps. Our Bikini guide will be launching in a few weeks….)
1. Mara Hoffman Vela Striped Cut-out Swimsuit – The design of this suit is a little nuts, but I LOVE it. So playful and flirty, and totally outside of my norm. SWOON.
2.Solid and Striped Anne-Marie One-Piece – So nonchalant French-girl, and so good.
3. Cali Dreaming Messier One-Piece Swimsuit – I’m obsessed with this seriously sexy suit. I love the contrast straps, the bright blue color, the flattering v-neck, and that GORGEOUS back. Also available in a chic gray-and-white combo. Wow.
4. Blue Life Seaside One-Piece – I love how this suit looks so girl-next-door….but is crazy, wildly sexy.
5. Ripcurl Boy-leg Spring Suit – I rely on these lightweight wetsuits for surfing and boogie boarding with my little guys. The ocean is never quite warm enough for me, so I find I play longer and harder if I’m dressed for it. I have one with traditional length shorts….but I’m loving how sexy this one is.
6. Vitamin A Bianca Halter Suit in Copper – I don’t normally go for earth tones…..but I think this suit might look amazing all summer with tan sandals, bag, and cutoff shorts. I’d add a delicate, gold necklace. Done.
1. Color-Code One Piece Swimsuit – okay, hello. This one is SEXY. I am really loving the deep cut one piece suits this year, but specifically ones that hold my small, droopy friends up top…ya know? Also, totally chic in black. My husband and I are trying to get away for a few days (JUST US. what?) and I am thinking a suit like this would be a good one to pack.
1. Seea’s Cambria One Piece – I absolutely adore Seea’s retro inspired suits designed by an Brazilian designer and avid surfer , their functional AND fresh. It’s is perfect for the fun loving active swimmer and if you love the vintage floral print as much as I do, check out Seea’s Karina One Piece for another vintage inspired suit.
2. Tommy Hilfiger Women’s Signature Stripe Cut-Out High Neck One Piece Swimsuit – I would say I’m usually the least preppy one of the TME gang, but this Signature Tommy Hilfiger is a standout swimsuit in my book: classic, simple & sporty.
3. Topshop’s Scallop One-Piece Swimsuit – There are some seriously stunning swimsuits out there but I just can’t with the $300 price tags… So This Topshop one-piece is right up my alley at $60 (if you’re not looking to sell a kidney to buy a swimsuit this year…)
4. Ted Baker Women’s Frillay One Shoulder Neoprene Ruffle One Piece Swimsuit – I really love the ruffled off shoulder one pieces like Eberjey’s So Solid Margarita One Piece but I worry about weird tan lines and ta-ta support/coverage, so this ted baker one shoulder is the perfect compromise, you still get the boho look and the support!
5. Becca’s Prairie Rose Crochet One-Piece Swimsuit – You can’t go wrong with a Becca swimsuit, they’re one of Nordstrom’s highest rated and most popular swimwear designers. They specialize in sexy, sheer lace suits like this one, a style that I think is going to be absolutely everywhere over the next few summers.
1. Araks Asymmetrical One Piece – You need to see the back of this suit . . . the bow and one-shoulder is gorgeous. This would look so awesome with a bright sarong maxi skirt.
2. Becca by Rebecca Virtue One Piece Plunge – The straps are adjustable AND the waist can be tied to your desired tightness. Love the detail and plunging neck.
3. O’Neill Salt Water Solids One-Piece – I usually stick to black, but I’m loving this bright blue color. The adjustable back makes it easier to get the right fit . . . also in a taupe-grey color. I ordered a large but it was too big, so I recommend going true to size.
4. Vitamin A ‘Neutra’ One-Piece – This is sexy . . . I love the strappy back and the deep plunge. This is the one I ended up keeping . . . it’s very flattering but runs small. I got a size 10 (I’m usually a size 6/28) and it fits!
5. Becca by Rebecca Virtue One Piece Plunge – I love that you can adjust both the length and tightness of the straps . . . adjustability is key for a good fit in a one piece. This is also available in a cool sea green or a light orange color that would look great with a tan!
1. Becca Havana One-Piece Swimsuit – This amazing one-piece gets rave reviews from ladies with larger busts. Cool modern cut with a plunge that won’t cause a wardrobe malfunction, not frumpy! The colors are rich and gorgeous in person.
2. Gottex Cocktail Party One-Piece Swimsuit – So flattering – from the front ruching to gloss over any tummy woes and “safe plunge” that keeps it interesting, to the sexy low back, this suit gets an A+. Plus wide straps to keep the girls up, pretty and practical! Fit notes say size up one size.
3. Modcloth Twist Come True One-Piece in Spruce – The green color is so uniquely pretty and looks good on lots of skin tones, and the twist detail over the stomach is so elegant (and clever!) There’s a safe plunge and enough side/bum coverage you can build sandcastles with the kids without showing off more than you meant to. (now 40% off!)
4. Trina Turk Algiers One-Piece Swimsuit – Wow, I’m in love with this bold graphic print! Rave reviews for style and bust support, plus no worries about flashing someone when you bend over to wrangle the kids. So fetch. (Update: I saw this one in person and the fabric is even more amazing.)
5. Modcloth Here Comes Ruffle One-Piece – Really gorgeous print and feminine, flattering cut. The halter top looks supportive and the back is so pretty.
1. J.Crew One-shoulder one-piece swimsuit in classic stripe: I adore stripes and I adore Jcrew suits. This is a great suit! SO cute and classic. Comes in navy and white stripe, as well.
2. Kenneth Cole Tough Luxe Crochet Hi Neck Mio: I included this in my hi-neck swimwear post, but I can’t get over it. It’s soooo gorgeous. I found additional colors on Amazon, too!
3. Vince Camuto Fiji Wrap Suit: I love the detail on this. It’s interesting but covers the tummy area. Comes in olive, blue and coral, too. SO pretty.
4. Ted Baker London Illiana Mesh Detail Suit: I think if I had to pick one swimsuit designer to wear the rest of my life it would be Ted Baker. The suits are so gorgeously stunning with amazing lines. This is no exception.
5. Ted Baker London Persian One-Piece – Again with the Ted Baker…this gorgeousness needs to be mine, but I don’t have any upcoming plans for warm weather. I may have to make some just for this suit. I die.
1. Norma Kamali Chuck One-Piece – So, this one is probably most out of my comfort zone and not something I’d typically buy BUT I love the color, and the cut-outs keep it from being too dowdy-looking. It’s different than most that are out there, and that’s always a good thing.
2. Nanette Lepore Damask Floral One-Piece – Give me anyyyything Nanette Lepore. This dark floral suit (that could do double time as a top) looks elegant but young at the same time.
3. Norma Kamali Racer Mio One-Piece – I’m a sucker for suits that can be a shirt first, bathing suit later. On vacay I would pair this with some white cut offs and do a little brunchin’ before the beach.
4. Robin Piccone Ava One-Piece – Robin Piccone gets me every season with the perfect earth tones, textures and cuts. She does simple (always my preference) SO well.
5. Victoria’s Secret Lace-Up Front One-Piece – VS is always sneaky amazing for swim…not sure why they’re discontinuing their regular line of it (sob!) BUT…PINK is still doing suits. I love the bright, neon color of this one and that lace-up front can adjust to show less or more.
What one-pieces are you loving right now? Leave us a comment below!
Acacia swimwear is my go to. They have so many flattering cuts and their double-lined fabric makes it worth every penny. Although many of their backsides tend to be on the cheekier side, they have options for coverage and likewise with their tops. I’m on the very petite side at 5’2 and their swimsuits always seem to flatter, though they regularly feature fuller figured women on their Instagram who look amazing as well. They also hold up incredibly well for playing in the water. I surf all summer in these and I haven’t lost a top or bottom yet!
Is Jess not a part of TME anymore? I identified more with her body shape and was hoping for her thoughts?
Apparently I am blind. I would blame my lack of caffeine/sleep but I got nothing. 🙂 So sorry. Thanks, ladies!
I was wondering the same thing before this post!! Glad to see she’s back in business! Can’t wait to see her spring challenge outfits!
“My small droopy friends…”LOL!! After nursing 3 kids, I hear ya, Cam! I tried a few of your recommendations from the 2017 swim guide and they just arrived. I’m excited to try them on! If they don’t work, I’ll definitely be trying that striped J Crew one shoulder suit. It’s adorable!
Long torso recommendations? I am finally ready to embrace the one piece trend, but don’t want to feel like I have to slouch to make it fit properly. Bonus points for a cut outs, cheeky bottom, etc. If I size up it usually doesn’t fit right everywhere else. Would love a recommendation. Thanks!
I have a long torso and find tankinis work best for me. And adjustable shoulder straps
Long torso here, too. The only ones I’ve found that fit well come from J Crew. (Luckily there are usually quite a few selections! But they sell out, so you have to buy early in the season.)
I forgot — Athleta also has cute long-torso options! My current suit is from there. (Not enough coffee this morning — ha!)
Thanks for the recs!
I’m hoping that you will do rashguards again! I need them, and don’t love the more typical style/design, but have found great options through your posts in previous years.
What about for nursing? Any suggestions?
Yes I was wondering about this too!
Here’s one for you… How do we all feel about tank suits that are higher cut in the leg with a lower back? I just bought a black one and am getting used to the cut but overall I feel it’s flattering.
I LOVE THEM. Totally agree that they’re super flattering. They make me feel like my legs are a zillion miles long.
Help a mama out? I’m a skinny mini with no issues waistline up, but I have thigh/butt stretch marks from my pregnancy days that I prefer to cover in the water and out, so regular bikinis and one-pieces don’t help. Two years ago I found a seersucker J. Crew bikini top and matching skirted bottom I liked; it wasn’t too frumpy but still covered enough (unlike many swim skirts). But I’m ready for an update and that was a rare diamond in the rough of blah or plus-size only solutions, year after year. Any other suggestions?
Hi Emme, the Kata swim shorts from Athleta aren’t frumpy at all and come in solids & cute prints: http://rstyle.me/~9OMdt The Petal swim shorts aren’t as tight and I love the soft shape. Great prints this year! http://rstyle.me/~9OMdZ
L Space makes boy short style bottoms that are super flattering and very youthful/cute, especially paired with one of their more flirty bikini tops. They have awesome mix and match styles so you can balance coverage on top and bottom. If it still doesn’t feel like enough coverage but you want something that you can play in and out of the water in, I think O’Neill makes cute surf shorts that don’t fit like a biker short, but more of a loose casual fit so you can wear on and off the beach. I think it’s a great alternative to a skirt!
Sorry, it’s rip curl, not O’Neill! http://www.ripcurl.com/us/shop/women/boardshorts/classic-surf-boardwalk/#Black
Thank you, Cynthia, I’ll have to check it out!
I have D cups that have been through nursing two kids and I resort to bikinis because I need bra like support to hold them up, I would like to start covering up my mid section, but find I am never supported enough by a one piece…would any of these work to actually support?
I feel like the style Jess picked with the underwire inserts might be more supposrtive yes? At least worth a try. I was surprised how supportive the halter tops were that I tried but I’ve yet to try a one piece halter. Next in the list!
Definitely a suit with underwire or halter, both are your best bet!
Halters kill your neck when you have big boobs. Definitely a swim suit with an underwire option. I have little luck. I’ll follow this to see if there are more recommendations!
Nursing my second now. Need midriff coverage too!!
Right there with you Mary! I need something to keep them in place while playing with my crew.
Just purchased the Trina Turk Algiers in batik blue. Beautiful on, and very comfortable to chase my 4year old. Thanks for the ideas TME!
I’m so surprised I didn’t see the one piece that I got this year. I bought the Seafolly cap sleeve swimsuit in black. I. LOVE. IT.
I am definitely no Bond Girl, but this suit….it kinda makes me feel like one!! Someone needs to add it to the list!!
This suit is so good I might even post pictures of me in it on my blog….We’ll see!
Love, Ann from Kremb de la Kremb
By the way, I forgot to add…. I love all of your choices! All of them. Love, Ann
Will you be doing tankinis in the bikini guide?
So sad Curvy Kate does not ship to the US!!! I was so excited to see some curve flattering but sexy suits! Wahhhhh!