One of the toughest times to get dressed is after having a bebe. Whew. Everything feels off and new and confusing — especially putting on clothes. The goal of comfy is a given, but as new mamas, we still want to feel put-together…and spending a second on ourselves during the postpartum period is so worthwhile.
Nursing-Friendly Clothes: 3 Cute, Sporty Outfits For Postpartum Moms
Let me take the guesswork out of styling with three postpartum (and nursing-friendly) outfits you can just throw on to feel ready for the day…summertime sporty style.
Postpartum Outfit 1: A Versatile Dress Styled With A Sporty Edge
An easy knit dress is perfect for everyone for summer, and this one happens to be nursing-friendly AND cute (that’s a tough find sometimes). Ooh, and it’s on sale! Check out the crossover detail on the bottom — so flattering, and something I’ve never seen on a nursing dress. When choosing a tote to go with it, “THANK YOU for helping open the door for me, THANK YOU for not touching my baby please, and THANK YOU for not giving me any of your unsolicited advice” totally went through my head. The postpartum (and honestly parenthood) struggle is real when it comes to unsolicited advice, amright?
1. Bravado Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra – Soft, seamless and gets a ton of great reviews. This looks supportive but not utilitarian. It comes in a few lovely soft shades, too.
3. Gap Nursing T-shirt Dress – Ok, so some nursing dresses are just totally blah. This one has the handy construction for easy nursing, but I love the less-frumpy shape and the cute crossed skirt. It has a tennis dress vibe that I’m here for.
4. Kule Thank You Tote Bag – I would have totally rocked this as a diaper bag.
5. Veja Sneakers **SUSTAINABLE** – These are comfy, cool and still very in right now. AND sustainable. Win. Love mine.
6. Apple Watch Band – Oh, how I wish I had owned a smartwatch when I was a new mama. Now there are apps that help time breastfeeding sessions and remind you which side to nurse on next. Perfect use for the watch since your hands are full with your bundle of cuteness.
7. aden + anais Swaddle Blankets – These were one of my favorite items ever as a nursing mama. They are the softest things ever and work well as a nursing cover and light swaddling blanket for summer months. I wore mine often as a scarf, too, depending on the print. They’re easy to stuff in the diaper bag, as well — a perfect new mom gift!
Postpartum Outfit 2: A Pop Of Color & A Summery Glow
I mean, all new mamas need more sleep. A couple of these things might make you look like you got a tiny bit more than you did, and I think that’s a start. A bright sunny color, luxurious under-eye masks and a little highlighter/blush combo stick go a long way to making you feel fresh and awake. I’m also dying over this cute, inexpensive tote bag for summer!
1. H&M Tote – So cute and summery! And under $35.
2. aden + anais Swaddle Blankets – They come in so many gorgeous prints.
3. Everlane Boxy Tee – This reasonable, super-cute boxy tee would be pretty accessible for nursing, but would add a pretty pop of color to your day, too.
4. Athleta Free Flow Culotte – So cute. I still wish I had ordered these, and I might. A wider-yet-stretchy waistband like this was my favorite for postpartum because it gives you a bit of support as you’re building back your stomach muscles. Those wide legs would be comfy and cool for summer, too (as would the cropped length).
5. EVA Birkenstocks – Easy to slip on, great for the pool or beach. The white ones will be most versatile, but they come in some great bright shades, too!
6. Wander Beauty Baggage Claim eye masks at Revolve | at Amazon – I have these in the regular gold version and LOVE them. They feel like a tiny spa day whenever you use them. Put them on while you’re getting ready in the morning to give a little pep and luxurious treatment to your eyes.
7. Wander Beauty On-The-Glow Stick – I also have and love this two-in-one blush and highlighter stick. It’s easy to add a little shine and a little color to cheeks, eyes or lips with this.
Postpartum Outfit 3: A Little Bit Sporty, A Lot Cool
If you wanna be…my mother? A weird combo of the Spice Girls song and Are You My Mother? is rolling through my head right now. I blame too much coffee…but I ADORE this look. I’d wear it right now. I actually do have these joggers, and omg they’re cool. For everyone? Perhaps not, but they’re for me and other sporty mamas will love, too. They’re so comfy. I won’t lie — they make me feel like I just went to a hip hop class…
1. Honeydew Oversized T-shirt – Super-cute but also nursing-friendly. This looks so soft! Could be good to sleep in, as well.
2. Bravado Ballet Nursing Bra – Another well-reviewed bra. This style was my favorite for postpartum because it was the comfiest and easiest style (no clips and whatnot).
3. Free People Junebug Joggers & at Anthropologie – These run slightly big and are selling quickly. I have a small, and they’re just a tiny bit big on me. These are another cute option in a great faded blue, also from Free People, but at Nordstrom. Side note: ugh, sorry for the mid-drift shot here. I like that this image shows the waistband, but I wouldn’t have wanted to see loads of those postpartum.
4. New Balance Sneakers – LOVE the colors here.
5. Baggu Puffy Tote – SO cute and comfy to carry. I have a puffy backpack purse I adore.
7. Nurse-sling Nursing Pillow – Oh, to have had this. We had a tough time nursing, me and my gal. This would have at least made it a little easier, I think. It gets great reviews and looks easy to bring-along.
Shop Sporty Postpartum + Nursing-Friendly Clothes & Accessories
This post goes out to my dear SIL Roxy and my new little niece Tuuli (I cannot wait to meet you, little one!)…and it goes to all of you new mamas right now. Wishing you all the sleep and comfort and cuddle time with your littles. I’ve got some swimsuit roundups coming for the pregnant and postpartum mamas soon, too! So stay tuned.
For down to earth-talk-with a side of funny, be sure to follow me over on Instagram @laurajansenstyle. Some days there will be dance parties, some days there will be recipe ideas, some days there will be fashion, and some days there will be none of that… just a Portland mom trying to get through the day. All are welcome. xo