I consider myself a well-seasoned mama now that I’ve had two babies (sort of. kind of. not really at all). HA. I can now say with confidence that I do now know what I would really like and need for myself during those first
delirious blurry crazytown awesome weeks with a new baby…and since baby numero three is about to make his big debut (right after the holidays, nonetheless), I’ve been thinking about what other new moms might like as well. And basically, it all comes down to this:
What will make use FEEL MORE LIKE A HUMAN?? (or at least sort of like one)
Don’t bother with anything fancy-shmancy. Nope. Take it from me, semi-professional mom over here. New moms are going to be wrapped up taking care of le tiny bébé and won’t have time for any bells and whistles. Think simple, but useful and pretty…for when we’re holed up at home – so tired, loving our postpartum body [snort]and really just in need of a nice…long…bubble bath (and 5 bottles of wine).
So actually, we can just stop there. Yeh, just get new moms a pallet of wine and a really long straw.
Okayokay. I have more realistic and responsible ideas…
1. Lemon-Aid: this is a color correcting eyelid primer that can be applied easily and quickly. It helps to make eyes look refreshed, so basically…not like you got two hours of sleep the night before? Um. Yes, thank you. This would be nice to have for those times there may be baby visitors…or even just someone dropping off dinner.
2. Honest Hazel Eye gels: I have tried these and can vouch for their magical abilities. They are easy to apply, actually stay on and don’t slip down your face (I even walked around with them on) and my eye area felt cool and refreshed after. I also really dig their packaging, if that means anything at all.
3. Well-Rested CC Eye Primer: the name says it all. This is an eye primer with revitalizing aloe and caffeine that helps to make it look like you’ve had a full night’s sleep…apparently. Whaaaattt. Now, haaa…it can’t make up for the hours of lost sleep, but if it’s something that makes a new mama look less zombie-like…awesome. Hey, it even color corrects the skin around the eye. Not a bad thing for those dark under eye bags.
4. Hand + Foot Cream Duo: these L’Occitane products are legit. Worth the money. There is one thing I cannot stand and that’s having dry hands and feet…and unfortunately, those are the two appendages that get seriously neglected when a new babe comes along (at least, for me). I never ever have time to do my nails post-baby, but I’ve found that having a good lotion on-hand goes a long way. It’s just one of those things…so nice to have, but something we often forget to get for ourselves.
5. Dry Shampoo: mmm hmmm. Yup. Let me say that again…mmmmmm hmmm. This is a must. A must, I tell you! It freshens hair right up and even gives it some body. I literally flip my hair upside down, spray, flip back up and then spray a little more…done. It’s that easy. I see many days in my near future where I will be using this.
6. Anthro. Jar Candle: some of my favorite candle scents are from anthropologie…and they just look so good, too. Win win. I light candles at the end of a long day, to calm me down a bit. They help to mask the dirty house, dog and other smells…YA KNOW.
7. Chatbooks: these are the coolest photo books and are incredibly easy to create (from your phone!). I stood in my kitchen the other day and made two, so…yeh. I’m thinking that this is how I will actually manage (for once) to get a baby book made this time around. I can sit on the couch, nurse and make an album with my iPhone photos. I love it. Oh, and you can get your first book free! Sweet. Use code: NY93NQYE
8. Fire & Ice Water Bottle:…but not just any water bottle. A fellow mom friend of mine (who has three babes already, so she knows what’s good) swears by these. It stabilizes the temperature of whatever liquid you have inside…and you can drink it one-handed with it’s easy squeeze bottle. I guzzle water when I’m nursing around the clock, so this would be very useful.
9. West Elm Cozy Blanket: I don’t know why, but I still don’t have one. I always wish I did though…to cozy up with when I’m sitting on the couch. They say “nap when baby naps”…yada yada yoooo…but what about when baby has two older siblings that may not necessarily want to nap when mama or baby wants to? HA. I have to catch a snooze when I can, so I imagine I’ll be dozing off with new babe on the couch at random times…and a cozy blanket would definitely be appreciated.
10. Teavana Ultimate Tea Collection: yes, I know. Where’s the coffee filled with caffeine goodness that helps to keep us alive, Cams? Coffee is good. Very good. I plan on having a full stock. However, I’ve recently discovered Teavana tea and ummm…it’s so good (and of course, some of them are caffienated). I’m actually not a huge tea drinker, because I really just love my coffee, but…but…Teavana does it right. They have some fantastic, unique teas that taste really lovely. Also, it’s a nice calming thing to drink.
11. Plum Pretty Sugar Robe: they have some of the prettiest sleepwear and robes that I have ever seen (I’ve been following them on IG for years now). One of their gorgeous robes could be used in the hospital after delivery and then at home, to throw on with a nursing tank and leggings…or just pajamas. It’s an easy way for a mom to feel pretty while lounging (if you want to call it that…not sure how much lounging can actually be done if this is not a first baby, but you know what I mean)…and it’ll keep her feeling comfortable, too.
12. Lace Cami Bra: this is something a little sexy to help the mama feel good about herself, because…poop and spit-up…and poop and spit-up. Repeat. I, personally, don’t mind wearing a bralette-type deal that has to be pulled up or down, because there are no underwires making it difficult. However, if you really prefer one that’s made specifically for nursing, here’s the fantastic Cosabella Nursing Bralette. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the line.
14. Vintage Pajama Set: comfortable, cute and nursing-friendly. I usually live in pjs for at least the first couple of weeks…aaaand then I move on to the yoga pants and leggings. 😉
15. Incredible Pair of Slippers: UGG brings it with their sheepskin slippers. I mean, goodness. I have a pair of these and may have just worn them to school drop-off. Yep, no shame in my early morning comfort game. Seriously though. These are the slippers sent from heaven for all of us mamas that want toasty and comfortable feet. My feet will be LIVING in these come new baby time.
16. Cozy Wrap Sweatshirt: having a feminine sweatshirt option to throw on over whatever is such a good idea. It beats having to wear a husband’s old sweatshirts (heh…which is what I happen to do on the regular). I like this wrap style, because it makes nursing in it possible. In fact, I’d wear this out with a nursing tank underneath…once I’ve gathered enough courage and energy to brave the world with three kids.
I’d say if you’re still eeehhhhh about any of those gift ideas, just go with a collection of chick flicks (Amazon has any that you can possibly think of), SNACKS (the junky kind…not the healthy. I recommend bags and bags of Boom Chicka Pop. SO good), a month’s worth of coffee and a pallet of wine.
Yehhh, not letting go of that wine idea. It’d be a solid choice.