I was recently cleaning out my closet and found myself sitting on the floor staring at my shoes. When did it all change? How did I go from being able to dance a whole night in 4-inch heels (I can’t believe I could do that) to living in sneakers, flats, and barely being able to tolerate 3-inch heels?
Oh, I know when…the day my first-born became mobile and chasing after him in 4-inch heels was no longer ‘smart.’ My first mother’s day I asked for a pair of sneakers for my new life. It’s been 6 years since then, and now — sneakers are vital for me.
This year a pair of sneakers I had no idea I needed made its way to my closet. The Tread Trainers by Everlane. The countless times I’ve worn them these past 10 months might tell you that I did, in fact, need them. If you follow me on Instagram (@julietatorresd), you’ve seen them numerous times. I’ve worn them on spring, summer, fall and winter days. I’ve worn them to travel, workout, take kids to the park or run a quick errand to the grocery store. I’m always running out of avocados!
After 10 months of wear, I’m ready to talk about them. Ready?
Everlane Tread Trainer Style
For many, this is a basic and simple shoe, but that’s the point. The classic, clean style guarantees longevity and versatility. It’s definitely not the kind of shoe that looks outdated after one or two seasons, or that can only be worn for one purpose. There are sneakers I only wear to workout and would never think of wearing with a regular outfit. These, on the other hand, I’ve worn them to the gym but also with a dress. While they do have a Reebok retro vibe, I wouldn’t call them “dad sneakers” as many have said. I never got into that. They’re not huge, and as a matter of fact, they make your feet look on the smaller size.
Everlane Tread Trainer Comfort
They’re not your usual sneaker with super soft, cushioned marshmallow sole. They’re not running shoes either, but they’re a substantial pair that provides stability. I’ve taken them to the gym and worn them all day with my kids. If I didn’t have a firm rule against street shoes in my house, I’d probably forget to take them off!
Are Everlane Tread Trainers Sustainable?
When Everlane set out to create a sneaker, they had something in mind: “Make the world’s lowest-impact sneakers. Make them to last. Make them carbon neutral. And never stop pushing to make them better”. How did they do it? Let’s see.
- Avoiding virgin plastic – Take a look at most of your sneakers. The soles, the fabric, insoles, etc., There’s a big chance they’re made mostly of plastic that’s not biodegradable. Because of this, Everlane decided to use natural and recycled gum rubber for its soles, and claims them to be 94.2% free of virgin plastic. In addition, laces and linings are made with recycled plastic bottles — about 9.5 per pair. Furthermore, they plan to get rid of all virgin plastic in their supply chain by 2021 and already have eliminated 75%.
- Sustainable leather – Everlane knows that leather is durable and biodegradable, but they also know there’s a carbon footprint in the way it’s produced. That’s why Everlane gets their leather from a Gold-certified tannery that maintains environmental protocols for the leather. It uses solar energy in the tanning process, 54% less electricity, 56% less freshwater and emit less CO2. I don’t doubt they’ll find a vegan alternative in the future.
- Durability – I recently got a dress that was made with recycled polyester. I LOVED it, but it became unwearable within four wears, pilling like nothing I’d seen before. Something that only lasts four wears is not sustainable even if it’s made with recycled plastic. Tread Trainers are made to last. The thick soles, full-grain leather, amazing construction, and classic style will keep them in your closet for a long time.
- Carbon emission offset: After finding ways to lessen the carbon emissions, Everlane calculated the total emissions they do emit per pair and are neutralizing it by partnering with Native energy, which according to their website “is working with cattle ranchers to employ grazing practices that improve American grasslands and pull carbon from the atmosphere.”
The Verdict: Everlane Tread Sneaker
The Everlane Tread Trainers initially won me over because of the sustainability. Finding out that the sneaker industry has one of the heaviest carbon footprints was very eye-opening, and I’m not sure I’ll ever buy a non-sustainable sneaker again. However, Everlane Tread Trainers are more than that. This is 10 months of wearing them at least once a week. They’re a little scuffed, and I had to give them a good clean for this photoshoot, but even that is easy. No dirty, hard-to-clean fabrics — you just wipe them and give a good scruff to the soles.
Despite the simple style, I love the different color options and combinations. They even mix textures in some styles. There are 4 different editions:
- The Core Collection – which has the most color options. Mine are the off-white of this collection.
- The Solstice Collection – that has perforated leather in more parts. It’s the only one that doesn’t come in half sizes.
- The Avenue Collection – which has the texture mix with suede, and two of the colors are nubuck. I love the Forest Nubuck; they are next on my list.
- The Gumsole Collection – The most durable of all thanks to the addition of a gum layer to the sole. They look very old-school and vintage. My favorite is the off-white color.
Important note about sizing – They run on the smaller side, so consider going half a size up. If your regular size is 5 or 6, they recommend going a full size up. Which might be true, because I’m usually between 5.5 and 6; I went for the 6, but they’re a little snug. I’m getting 6.6 next time.
4 Ways To Wear Everlane Tread Trainers
1. With Faux-Leather Leggings & A Colorful Coat
As you can see I also went for the core collection, but in the off-white color. I usually find white sneakers to be too bright, but the off-white brings it down a notch, and they go with everything.
2. With A Midi Sweater Dress
This day we went for brunch and then apple picking. I had to give them a good clean when we got home.
3. With Bright Leggings & An Oversized Tee
I take them from the gym to running errands with my 2-year-old.
4. With Faux-Leather Joggers & A Suede Jacket
Instead of wearing this with your leather jacket, try suede instead to break up the material.
These are some of the photos I have, but the possibilities are endless. I’m sure I’ve worn them with cutoffs, and just yesterday I wore my Levi’s 501, a chunky sweater and my amber coat with them, too.
Shop Everlane Tread Trainers
Important note: There’s free express shipping going on right now because of the holidays, in case you need them before Christmas.
Was this review helpful? Let us know what else you’d like to see reviewed. I’m now very interested in the Adidas Futurecraft Loop running shoe (100% recyclable) that’s scheduled to launch in Spring/Summer 2021.
Read More About Sustainable Sneakers
- Everlane has eliminated 75% of virgin plastics from its supply chain
- How Allbirds, Organic Valley and Everlane support regenerative agriculture
- How Two Major Sustainability Developments Could Disrupt the Sneaker Market Forever
Happy Holidays! This might be my last post for the year. We’re going to Colombia to spend New Years with my family. Sooooo…see you in January!
See more casual-yet-put-together outfits on my Instagram (@julietatorresd) a lot of high-rise jeans, and a real and honest take on motherhood. Social media shouldn’t be for the good things only.