This post is sponsored by Gap & ShopStyle.
Well hi, friends! We’re back from a few days in the mountains (the first time we’ve left town as a family in more than five months!) and between the fresh sugar pine air, the long afternoons of Texas checkers, and the general absence of WiFi, I am finally feeling reset and ready to jump back into the action. Which is perfect timing, really, because Gap is having a 40% off Friends & Family Event using code FRIENDS — plus an extra 10% off everything using code FAMILY — and so many of the finds are right up my alley that I just had to round ’em up here.
Gap Denim (& More Cute Basics) Is On My Friends & Family Wish List
If you’ve been reading here for the past year, you know my style skews decidedly casual (effortless, we’ll call it) with juuust a bit of an eclectic, vintage-inspired West Coast vibe, and, unsurprisingly, Gap has nailed it this season. Obviously my picks start with their timeless denim, but there are some really fun pieces that are so classic and retro in their appeal — like this striped tank! And this baseball tee! And these sneakers, which are so low profile and slim and actually flattering with shorts.
Simply put, if you’ve been eyeing something at Gap over the past couple of months, now’s the time to snag it. And if not, well, let me introduce you to the items on my current Friends & Family Event Wish List.
(Hint: Click the collage, below, to shop all these picks directly.)
1. Icon Denim Jacket // It’s called the Icon for a reason. Such a classic denim jacket in the perfect medium blue wash. There’s a cropped version, too, that I’m considering — can’t decide which I like more, but I the proportions of this one would complement the straight and skinny denim choices, below, in particular.
2. Embroidered Tie-Front Top in Linen-Cotton // OK, this top paired with washed black cut-offs is my ideal summer uniform. Subtly boho, and not overly romantic because of the neutral hue. Love little tops like this for layering over a swimsuit, too. Just so chic and easy.
3. Sleeveless Mockneck Dress // A t-shirt dress — but make it mod? I like it. I’d put this with sneakers now (just like the model) and then with taller boots and a cardigan or trench in the fall. (Or both! The lovely thing about it being sleeveless is that it minimizes bunching as you add layers.) Also loving the mustard hue that’s available + others here.
4. Authentic Baseball Tee // I have a baseball tee that’s almost identical, and it’s wearing real thin from all the wear it gets. I adore the all-American vibes of the red + white, but there’s a gray + white version, too, that’s a bit more subtle. I like the idea of putting this under a moto jacket with slim black denim (these cigarette jeans!) and either sneakers or a strappy black heel for a night out. Are we doing nights out? One can dream. (Shop more staple tees on sale here.)
5. Striped Tie Strap Sweater Tank // This is seriously cute, folks, and it’s so close to the type of thing I’d hope to pull out of my mom’s huge haul of vintage clothes. It’s definitely got kind of a state fair vibe going on, right? Can you see it? Just add shorts, tennies and a corn dog. And then layer on that Icon Denim Jacket in the evening. Perfection.
6. Lace Up Sneakers // Not exaggerating in the least when I say these would go with every item on this list. The slim, classic design is actually flattering with shorts, but I especially love them with a cropped skinny that shows just a bit of ankle.
7. 4″ High Rise Denim Shorts // These might just be the unicorn of shorts. After being inspired by my fellow shorts-wearing TME team members, I’ve been eying a new pair of denim shorts all season. I’m always drawn to the washed black versions — but they’re typically SO short, or destructed to the point of cheek exposure. These have a relatively modest length while still offering a straight fit and distressed details that feel, well, cool. And reviews are great.
8. Stripe Shopper Bag // Our local grocery store just started letting us bring reusable bags again, and this one is large enough to tote home both my purchases AND stash a small pouch inside to hold my wallet/keys, hand sanitizer. The exterior pocket is a handy place to keep my phone, too (ol’ Apple Pay is getting quite the workout) — and I can easily wash it when needed. (It’s not technically machine washable, but I’ll wash almost anything on “hand wash”or “delicate” and hang it to dry — just be wary that the straps don’t get wrapped around your center agitator.)
9. High Rise Cigarette Jeans with Secret Smoothing Pockets // How many washed black jeans are too many washed black jeans? I am head over heels for the slim but not skinny profile of these, the raw hem, the wash (duh) and the rise. And this pair of denim is part of Gap’s water-saving Washwell™ program. Compared to conventional wash methods, Washwell™ has saved millions of liters of water since 2016 — so cool. Shop more of Gap’s timeless denim, here.
10. Sky High Destructed True Skinny Ankle Jeans // It’s been a minute since I’ve considered skinny denim in a light wash (typically skinnies feel…dressier? or at least with more dressy potential, so I gravitate toward darker washes) — but THESE are just easy and versatile, and would be so cute with a simple graphic tee and all manner of sneakers. Love the idea of pairing them with that tie-shoulder sweater tank, summery statement earrings and some easy flip flops, too.
11. High Destructed Rise Cheeky Straight Jeans // I’ve heard such good things about Gap’s Cheeky Straight line, so I’d be remiss not to point out these. I have a feeling these look more like a vintage fit, almost-but-not-quite mom jean on, and the medium wash makes them feel just a bit more current. For summer, add a plain white tank — you literally can’t go wrong; then, come fall these would be so stellar with a bright, cropped sweatshirt and high tops.
12. Mini Bucket Rope Crossbody Bag // The reader reviews say that this bag is tiny — and, honestly, that has me even more excited. I love that genuinely small bags are having a moment, and the idea of swinging this one around by its handles or wearing it hands-free as a crossbody just feels so playful and fun. Just enough room for the essentials — as if we ever go anywhere that requires much more than that!
Hope everyone is staying well out there — happy shopping!
Thank you to Gap and ShopStyle for sponsoring this post. I’ve loved Gap since I was a kiddo shopping the sale racks with my momma (pretty sure I have rifling through the upper clearance racks to thank for my somewhat toned shoulders — you think I’m joking…) so sharing some of my favorite Gap finds hardly feels like work. And, as always, thanks to you for reading along and supporting TME’s partners. We so appreciate that you’re here.
Guys! Follow me on Instagram for more peeks into our life on the Northern California coast. And if you feel so inclined, pop over to my personal food + lifestyle blog, The Pig & Quill, where I share salty scribblings from my kitchen and home life. Byeeeeee!