Hi. Again. It’s that time of year when you get to hear from all of us, all the time! All hail the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale! It’s actually pretty fun. I feel like the flow of posts is so frequent (and the reader comments so fast and engaging) that it’s like we’re all having one big conversation about shopping. Which is 1) my adolescent career dreams, fulfilled, and 2) a nice change from the other conversation dominating the parenting scene.
“Ooof…do you know what you’re doing about…school?”
Yeah. That one.
Much to my great relief — like, cue angels singing and champagne popping — we actually do know what we’re doing about school. And it’s not what I would have predicted two months ago. Ready, friends? We committed to 100% remote learning.
For the whole school year.
Does Nordstrom sell wine? Joking. Kinda.
Our Remote Learning Plan = Adventure.
Best Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Picks For A Road Trip
We chose this route for a number of reasons, but the dominating selling point is that Lana will be able to “attend” school (and Chris and I can work) from, well, anywhere. My parents’ house. Chris’ parents’ house. Some obscure Airbnb (ohh, maybe with a pool…). An RV. Obviously travel is substantially more limited given the whole pandemic driving this debacle, but when will we have this opportunity again — to be physically untethered from work and school? Not for another 12 years, at least. And so, fully understanding the immense privilege that allows us to have this choice in the first place, we go. We’re telling Lana it’ll be our “adventure year.”
And what’ll I be wearing? Well, it’ll look a little something like this. Nothing too precious — jeans, tees, sweaters that can stand up to being packed and repacked. The coolest boots of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (I’m officially declaring it!) — the black version is just SO GOOD. A couple of pieces that would be only too snuggly around a campfire. But then, oh — what’s this? A totally Zoom-worthy cami + sweater combo? A luxe t-shirt dress that could easily skew rock n’ roll? And a delightfully boho teddy coat that makes it almost irrelevant what’s underneath? It’s all here, friends. Bring on the adventure.
(Hint: click the collage below to shop all the featured items directly. Looking for my Top NSale Finds Under $50? This post. Looking for Anni Sale pieces with a little more polish? Scotti’s got plenty of what I’m going to call “achievable glam” going on in her #dressingroom selfies. And check out all of our 2020 Nordstrom Anniversary Sale coverage here. On with the post!)
2. 1.STATE Chiffon Inset Cami // This, paired with the Vince cardigan and jeans = instant date night or Zoom call. But I’d also pair it with the same cadigan, the Adidas leggings + the Converse for more of a street style vibe.
3. Zella Long Hooded Puffer Vest // Perfect for around a campfire — and minus the swishy sounds of puffy sleeves rubbing on puffy sides, haha. Obviously this could go over a sweater or T, but I like the idea of it with bare arms, too, when it’s not too chilly.
4. Free People Tessa Teddy Coat // This is admittedly not the most practical packable item, but it’s precisely for that reason that I added it. It’s just unapologetically fluffy and cozy and lends a bit of a cool girl vibe to everything it tops off.
5. Rails Hunter Plaid Shirt // Rails shirts are SO good. They’re soft, and the fit is drapey and flattering. That said, I still don’t totally get why they’re quite as pricey as they are, but when they’re under $100 — and in a plaid as versatile as this one — I consider them to be a worthy investment. Size up at least one, maybe two, if you want to wear it over a band tee or tied around your waist. (Yes please!)
6. Vince Shawl Collar Ribbed Cardigan // If I’m truly going to pare down my wardrobe this season, the sweaters I’m adding will need to seriously pull their weight. I have a very similar Vince cardigan in black from years prior, and it’s so lofty and lush — and the definition of effortless. The lighter color here comes off as a bit more polished, too, if you have reason to make it a bit more formal.
7. Vince V-Neck nep Wool Blend Sweater // I know…I toyed with adding color, here, but at the end of the day, if we’re truly talking capsule wardrobe, I learn toward pieces I know I won’t tire of. This sweater could easily make the leggings feels a bit more elegant, but I’d half tuck it into the boyfriends jeans and pair it with those boots.
8. Vince Tie Waist Cotton T-Shirt Dress // Another workhorse of a piece that was too good not to include. I haven’t done it, but I even love the idea of wearing this, unbelted, over the leggings. Gotta see it in person, though, because the color description makes it sounds more blue than black. And you better believe I’d put the Rails shirt over it and add the Paul Green boots for a bit of a grunge effect, too.
9. Adidas Trefoil Crewneck Sweatshirt // Such a fresh, easy sweatshirt. This one looks like it might be on the longer side, which I could see appreciating with the leggings, but for wearing it with jeans, I might see myself cropping it a bit (releasing the hem will give it a more modern, boxy fit, too).
10. Zella Restore Soft Longline Bra // An easy longline bra that works just as easily for lounging as it does for light activity. The length would make me feel a little more comfortable wearing this as a “top” around the house, too.
11. Adidas Adicolor Large Logo Tights // I love these so much — the logo is abstract enough that it’s graphic and interesting, but the line drawing prevents it from feeling too in your face. I’d feel 100% comfortable wearing these as pants without any intention of activity whatsoever, ha. All my adidas tights fit TTS.
12. AG Ex-Boyfriend Relaxed Slim Jeans // No one wants to ride around in a car in skin-tight jeans, and since I foresee a decent amount of road-tripping in our future, a comfy, relaxed pair of jeans that you can still dress up a little if needed will be key.
13. Rag & Bone Nina High Waist Ankle Cigarette Jeans // If I’m going to have two pairs of jeans in my capsule, they better be different enough from each other to provide some versatility. I’ve had my eye on these since the preview first dropped — love the gray wash and the slim but not skinny leg, but something in a black wash would work, too. These Mothers come to mind.
14. FRAME Les Second Mini Crossbody Bag // I am so appreciative of the design on this little babe. The bright orange is stunning, too, but for a minimal capsule, I love the elegance of the ivory. Also available in a larger tote if you’re seeking a single bag that could offer a bit more utility.
15. rag & bone Walker Convertible Leather Tote // Ah, THIS is what I’m eyeing for my utilitarian option. It feels more like a handle bag than a tote, the longer shape is fresh, and it’s deep enough that I don’t actually mind the lack of a zip closure. I love the nylon strap, too, which totally complements the casual nature of this whole shebang. And the texture is just pebbled enough. (WHOA – there’s also this patterned leather version in the sale, which I have a feeling isn’t getting much attention because you can’t tell from the pictures that it’s actually a reptile print on leather — so cool. Seriously torn now…)
16. Paul Green Dynamic Boots // I had these on my wishlist, too, and they’re en route to me as we speak. Something about them is just so cool, and yet they also happen to seem practical, and that’s where I’m willing to invest a little more. They’re a little bit combat boot, a little bit chelsea boot, a little bit comfort shoe. There’s even a very legit Vibram sole that I feel excellent about. Totally adventure-worthy.
17. Chuck Taylor All Star Lift High Top Platform Sneaker // Classic Chucks with gold eyelets and a slight platform that elevates the look — literally!
18. Adidas Edge Lux 4 Running Shoe // Adidas can kind of do no wrong when it comes to their range of affordably priced running shoes. I’ve got a few iterations and they’re all light and comfy but with enough structure for actual activity. Equally at home at the grocery store, the playground or (wishful thinking!) exploring national parks.
Hope everyone has been hanging in there with school decisions! I know a little distraction via the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale has been very welcomed around here — but I’m also just so relieved to finally have some semblance of a plan in place.
Even if that plan is to gleefully proceed with very little plan at all.
Happy shopping, folks.
Guys! Follow me on Instagram for more peeks into our life on the Northern California coast. And if you feel so inclined, pop over to my personal food + lifestyle blog, The Pig & Quill, where I share salty scribblings from my kitchen and home life. Byeeeeee!